VOGONS

The dying Quantum Bigfoot

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a couple of Bigfoot drives with low POH and zero bad sectors. They work fine, but they are too slow, so I choose not to use them. HDD is one area I cheat a little when going for certain era builds. I don't like using CF or SSD, but I do use mechanical HDDs that would've been a little too big/fast for the time I'm targeting.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 22 of 22, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^^ I do the same - my 1994 era 486 has a 2.5GB Maxtor in it, and my 1992 486DLC has an 850 Mb Barracuda drive in it. The only ones that have era-fidelity are my 286 (42 Mb full height drive) and my 386SX (Western Digital 85 MB)

KCompRoom2000 wrote:

I have a 2.1GB Quantum Bigfoot drive that still works (in a Compaq Presario 2100), it even has a Compaq OEM installation of Windows 95 RTM (surprisingly not OSR2 despite being manufactured in early 1997), I made a VHD backup of it just in case it dies, I also have four Fireballs that still work (their capacities are: 6.4GB, 8.4GB, 30GB, and 40GB). However, I did have another 8.4GB Fireball die on me due to magnetic (nearby speaker) damage back in 2014.

Fireballs are amazing drives. I still have three of them in similar sizes. The only one to not register is my SCSI drive - I think it might be dead though.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!