VOGONS

First post, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this old MHz display. What is the black component with marking A 471G? It has 5 legs.

2iqisy8.jpg

Reply 2 of 5, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. It seems like you are correct. I'm not familiar with resistor networks at all, I have just been using regular color coded resistors when I have made something. I just wonder what the "A" and "G" letters mean there.

Reply 3 of 5, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
markot wrote:

Thanks. It seems like you are correct. I'm not familiar with resistor networks at all, I have just been using regular color coded resistors when I have made something. I just wonder what the "A" and "G" letters mean there.

Well, don't take my word for it, there might be other types of components that looks very similar to how a resistor network usually looks. If you got a multimeter, you could always try to do some resistance measurements, and see if you get the readings you'd expect from a resistor network 😀

Can't help you with the markings, but well, if it is a resistor network, it would be easy enough to get its properties by measuring.

Reply 4 of 5, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the numbers would read the same as a traditional resistor colour code would, which would make it 470ohm.

resistor-color-chart.jpg

The last digit is usually tolerance (similar to colour coded resistors using gold/silver for 5%/10%)...G is 2%
...no clue what the A is...

EDIT: Added resistor colour codes

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vishay uses 'A' for the component profile, but I believe believe you're correct otherwise - 470 ohm, 2% tolerance between the first and subsequent pins.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder