VOGONS

First post, by strelock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am stuck. I am trying to get sound to work with the onboard audio on this motherboard. I have an Intel SE440BX with the ISA Crystal CS4236B chip.

I am using the drivers from http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=43,35 specifically version 1.80 (there are multiple version in the download package). I am running DOS 6.22 on a PII 233 with 64MB RAM (sees 32MB).

I have mainly been trying / testing with the game Raptor but am hoping once I get it working properly I can use the same settings in other games.

According to the Intel documentation, IRQ 5 is "LPT2 (Plug and Play option)/audio/user available) and IRQ 11 is "Windows Sound System/user available". If I set the IRQ in CS4232.ini to 5 and then run cs32cfg and reboot, I get no sound. I have left the MPU401 at the default of 5, and I believe that is where the music in the game is coming from. I have been unable to get the sound effects to work though. The game will not let me select IRQ 11 as an option, so I need it to work on another IRQ, like 5 or 7 (7 is reserved for LPT1, I tried disabling LPT1 and using 7 in the ini but it did not help). Any ideas? I'm kind of a noob at DOS!

Reply 2 of 4, by strelock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately that board died. Hangs on POST no matter what I do. Luckily I found another in the trash heap at work that is working fine so far. It doesn't have onboard so I'm now using an Ensoniq AudioPCI card.

Reply 3 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found this as a funny coincidence as you can get SE440BX motherboards with AudioPCI onboard

Reply 4 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:

Found this as a funny coincidence as you can get SE440BX motherboards with AudioPCI onboard

Kinda the same here 🤣, back in my n00b days I upgraded the onboard sound with a PCI Solo-1, only to find out years later the onboard chip was also a Solo-1 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!