VOGONS

486 DX4 100MHz - WIP

Topic actions

First post, by iFXBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

Recently I started a new project: My new Intel 486 desktop. Here the specs for this beauty:

Processor Intel 486DX4 100MHz SX900 &E
RAM 128MB Total - 4 x Samsung KMM5368103CK-6 32MB 60ns Parity FPM SIMM
Motherboard M919 V3.4B/F with real 256K SRAM cache module
Sound Sound Blaster AWE32 (CT3670) with 2MB SIMM ISA
Video Diamond 2001 S3 Trio64V+ 86C765 2MB PCI
Network 3Com Etherlink III 3C509b ISA
Storage Sony CF 4GB 133x 20MB/s on CF-IDE40 Adapter
Optical LG GSA-H22N DVD-RW Drive
Floppy Gotek SFR1M44-U100K 3.5" 1.44MB USB SSD Emulator Floppy Drive

For accessories I have:

Keyboard Mitsumi E99ZC DIN - Used
Mouse Microsoft Mouse White PS/2 - Two Button Ergonomic (Plugged on COM) - Brand New/Sealed
Joystick QuickShot 6-Button Commandpad QS-217 - Brand New/Sealed

I started cleaning all the items and prepare to assembly. The keyboard was bought used, yelowed and dirty. Check the before image bellow:

KB-Before.JPG
Filename
KB-Before.JPG
File size
1.63 MiB
Views
File comment
KB-Before
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

But after clean it and use the RetroBright technique, I got this:

KB-After.JPG
Filename
KB-After.JPG
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File comment
KB-After
File license

Missing Parts
I am looking for a good AT case to install my desktop. I couldn't find it so far so it take a wile to finish the project. I'll post images as soon as I have it. Also I do not intend to buy a CRT monitor - I'm gonna use the LCD I already have.

Software
My idea is to have three OS on this computer:

- MS-DOS 6.22/Windows for Workgroups 3.11
- Windows 95 OEMSR2
- Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP6

This is a work-in-progress. I'll post new images as soon the project is made. Let's see how this project comes out!

Last edited by iFXBR on 2017-02-05, 02:59. Edited 1 time in total.

iFXBR - Vintage Computer Lover

Reply 1 of 33, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
iFXBR wrote:

RAM 128MB Total - 4 x Samsung KMM5368103CK-6 32MB 60ns Parity FPM SIMM

😲 That is a huge amount of ram for a 486. Is there anything that would run on it to take advantage of that much, or is just because it's awesome?

Otherwise that looks like a sweet build!

Reply 2 of 33, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're ready to tear the head off of a horse. DOS can't use 128mb, I think it can only do 64, but I'm not sure there's probably a way with older versions of DOS and FreeDOS or whatever.

I suggest OS/2. It's the all round best 486 OS. It has good DOS support, good Win16 support, and of course, OS/2 support

Reply 4 of 33, by iFXBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ampera wrote:

I suggest OS/2. It's the all round best 486 OS. It has good DOS support, good Win16 support, and of course, OS/2 support

Well remembered! I'll spare another CF for OS/2 Warp 4.

Reply 5 of 33, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
iFXBR wrote:
Ampera wrote:

Well remembered! I'll spare another CF for OS/2 Warp 4.

AHHH, KILL IT, KILL THE COMPACT FLASH CARD, IT'S EVIL.

Primary flash storage and old computers have no right to be together. You might as well use DOSBox

Reply 6 of 33, by iFXBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ampera wrote:

Primary flash storage and old computers have no right to be together. You might as well use DOSBox

Haha please tell me where to buy a reliable Quantum 540MB hard disk this days...

Reply 7 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd advise against using CF for operating systems which use virtual memory. The most straightforward approach these days is to use a Seagate or Samsung SATA drive with a converter and size limit it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 33, by iFXBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

I'd advise against using CF for operating systems which use virtual memory. The most straightforward approach these days is to use a Seagate or Samsung SATA drive with a converter and size limit it.

Even for modern CF cards?

Reply 9 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Presumably new ones do have wear leveling, but modern spindle drives are such a step up in performance that i don't see much advantage in using CF.

Reply 12 of 33, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've used flash strictly for the noise factor. As nostalgic as I am for the old systems, I do *not* miss that bearing whine of the old drives 😒

That said, I have a stack of old 20gb-200gb IDE drives that are useless on modern machines, but are quiet enough on a Win98 machine to appease my ears 😀

Reply 13 of 33, by iFXBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
probnot wrote:

That said, I have a stack of old 20gb-200gb IDE drives that are useless on modern machines, but are quiet enough on a Win98 machine to appease my ears 😀

If you're here in Brazil I would ask you to sell (or donate) some for me...

Reply 14 of 33, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
iFXBR wrote:
probnot wrote:

If you're here in Brazil I would ask you to sell (or donate) some for me...

Sorry, I'm under a few feet of snow in the Canadian prairies...

Reply 15 of 33, by iFXBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
iFXBR wrote:

Joystick QuickShot 6-Button Commandpad QS-217 - Brand New/Sealed

So, the Commandpad has just arrived:

Commandpad2.JPG
Filename
Commandpad2.JPG
File size
452.92 KiB
Views
File comment
Commandpad
File license

As the seller told me: brand new and sealed! An 1994 item in this conditions goes perfect to my project.

Commandpad1.JPG
Filename
Commandpad1.JPG
File size
430.79 KiB
Views
File comment
Commandpad
File license

Reply 16 of 33, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You really don't want more than 16 MB on a 486. That's what games of the era were designed to support. Dune II won't run properly if you have more than 16 MB and Destruction Derby 2 won't install at all on a computer with 128 MB.

eta: I'm talking about DOS here. Windows may be different.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 17 of 33, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, to overcome the RAM problem, you can use eatxms do reduce the RAM size in MS-DOS, I use free dos and love it. For HD you can use a Seagate disk and use the dynamic Drive Overlay tool in order to recognize all space. My 386DX40 has an 80GB hard drive all recognized.

Reply 18 of 33, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On the topic of CF storage - there exist industrial CF cards that use SLC flash. These can stand quite the beating, and for the 2-8GB size range, can be found for decent prices. Also, unless you're swapping a lot, VM isn't all that likely to eat up your CF card. I would be careful if it's a machine that's going to run under high load a lot, and where uptime is a concern, but if it's not, just plug the CF card into a modern box and back it up once in a while. WinImage should work the necessary magic. If you use MacOS X, Linux or BSD, try cat or dd.

Or, I suppose, you could back up over the LAN, if you're booted into Win9x, WinNT or OS/2. (Or BSD, for that matter, since it'll run on a 486).

I can understand the purist perspective, but for me, the reduction in latency from using CF or SD storage is absolutely worth it. If I want bearing noise, I know where to find it 😜

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 19 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With CF cards, you also have to be careful of the removable bit. Not an issue with DOS or Linux, but it can be an issue with Windows.
Change old low HDD to a CF card?
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/CompactFlash_boot_drive