486 DX4 100MHz - WIP

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

You really don't want more than 16 MB on a 486. That's what games of the era were designed to support. Dune II won't run properly if you have more than 16 MB and Destruction Derby 2 won't install at all on a computer with 128 MB.

eta: I'm talking about DOS here. Windows may be different.

If push comes to shove he can just temporarily take some RAM out, or use Windows NT or OS/2.

Reply 21 of 33, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was about to say OP said he was duel booting with NT4 which will love all the ram it can get and Win95 wont mind the extra ram as well.
majority of games don't care if you have massive amount of ram so wouldn't worry about it until it becomes an issue (if it ever does)

Reply 22 of 33, by iFXBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ampera wrote:
iFXBR wrote:
Ampera wrote:

I suggest OS/2. It's the all round best 486 OS. It has good DOS support, good Win16 support, and of course, OS/2 support

Well remembered! I'll spare another CF for OS/2 Warp 4.

AHHH, KILL IT, KILL THE COMPACT FLASH CARD, IT'S EVIL.

Primary flash storage and old computers have no right to be together. You might as well use DOSBox

Well, well, well... The CF with adapter does not work on this motherboard. The system just don't turn on.
I'm goingo back to hard disks after all...

iFXBR - Vintage Computer Lover

Reply 23 of 33, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What ? Back to the 4$#% ?
Have you installed the floppy connector ? (as if the idea would solve some computer not Posting)
(OK. An HD is just not a easy thing to use or move. In other words, I'm getting rather lazy)

I can vouch for 128MB of RAM. After all, DOS will see only 64MB and you can use the so said EATXMS.

A Guillemot Maxi Sound Game Theater 64 will eat that Creative card for breakfast.
If you could see how it shines in Duke Nuken 3D. You will never come back to where you belong.
To tell you the truth, I rather use this Guillemot in some games than the so called Roland line!
Furthermore, no more crackles in Black Thorne, old FIFA and the list just go on.

You Know what, I am not so jealous cause I have some AT cases! Probably you will never find one in pristine condition. 😈
and as hard as hell saving battered cases. I can see you like restoration. Good!
Don't you like Phil's idea - Using a 386 in an ATX modernish case ?

Vai com tudo ! Que configuração bacana.
Translation: Goes for it, man. What a sensational beast from those years that was the time of highly destructive viruses.

I was there too, remember ? Peter Norton was the guy to go to! 😀
I wish you good luck finding the remaining parts...

Reply 25 of 33, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm installing 128MB of RAM in my 486 system (along with an AMD DX4-100 and 512K L2 Cache - just waiting for all the parts to come in). I might have to try oud DD as it's already installed. But then part of the reason for me doing this is I'm attempting some really oddball not-so-retro-stuff with this computer such as running Windows 2K, newer Linux distros aimed at older systems, and whatnot (I'm into productivity as much as games).

You can use 128MB of RAM in DOS, but you have to use one of the later versions of HIMEM.SYS to make it accessible - later versions of himem.sys such as that provided with Windows ME or Windows 98 SE have a limitation of 4GB because when those systems were out, they were already making systems capable of twice as much or more than 128MB of RAM.

I'm not sure if it's 100% correct but also if you forego WFWG 3.11's version of HIMEM for one of the variants I mentioned with the 4GB ceiling, WFWG will be able to use all that RAM as well.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 26 of 33, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
iFXBR wrote:
Frasco wrote:

Vai com tudo ! Que configuração bacana.

Are you really joking or do not you know that I'm Brazilian?

I know who you are 😈
By the way, can you see my avatar (Prince of Persia) and my location ? I have to do one using Arkanoid, a game that I love and kind test you reflexes, but there are so many things to do.

Reply 29 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

The best game for reflexes (my opinion) is Tempest!

Good times.

Unreal games against bots are also a nice way, as it requires both fast reflexes and accuracy 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 33, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While the OP doesn't delight us with his progress, let me tell you Arkanoid requires
tremendous focus. There are 1001 ways to lose one Vaus (the thing you control is a space ship),
so you got to stay cool about your mistakes 😀

A blink, a wrong move or tactic and you are history.
It makes a grown man cry or freak out like John Rambo (oooohhhhhhhhhhhh!) as you advance deeper
on tough rounds.
I feel the same adrenaline and fear only when I play Diablo and get to the catacombs.
I think Diablo is great! That environment is awesome, dude. You just have to be pretty
careful! Like go playing by the flancs, create "cannon fodders" and stuff like that.
Well, most of the time I am a dumbass who takes bad decisions. At least I can see some patterns -- I guess this
is all about "learning curve". One thing makes me proud though: 😵
I killed the butcher only because, while retreating, I found out by myself he couldn't open doors.
Later I realized this trick was all over the Internet! 😎 😈

* No, I'm not from Taito.
** I don't cry, really. One day I felt on the floor in shame and this is it.

About CS and Unreal. I must start saying I suck at these games. I spray my weapon as
soon as the opponent appears. I don't have cold blood to aim while the enemy has a gun as well.
There is no time to think. I always get killed instantaneously.
You gotta keep moving and I always forget this basic rule.
In the end, I think it's all about practicing and having a good ping, cause men, I have good reflexes! 🤣

I wish I was into Battlefield 3 or 4. Gonna give Tempest a go just to start "arguments".
Nah...End of the trip !

Reply 32 of 33, by iFXBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Frasco wrote:

While the OP doesn't delight us with his progress...

Hmmm had some problems with Intel processor. It hangs for no reason even in DOS prompt. I'm checking if I messed at the config jumpers.
Meanwhile I am using the good old AMD 586 133MHz. It is a good processor, but I originally planned a Intel 486 DX4 100MHz.

This is the second thing I faced a problem. First the CF card is not compatible, now the processor... C'mon!

iFXBR - Vintage Computer Lover

Reply 33 of 33, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your computer is unable to cache all that ram - that means it will perform a lot slower, like you have no L2 cache installed. It affects memory operations as well as FPU performance. Not to mention the time it will take to count and then test all that ram at POST. Google "cache ram memory 486" to get an idea of how much ram you can use with different amounts of L2 cache.

If all you plan to do on that 486 is play dos games, get rid of all but 16mb of ram. If you plan on installing win95, use 32mb, provided your motherboard can cache all of it - and with 256k it should be able to. Note that you need two 72 pin simm modules for a 486 to run, so all that ram is money wasted... no 486 can cache that much. 128MB of ram back then was like having 256gb of ram now, and it's just as useless performance wise.