VOGONS

First post, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I rescued a MS5169 ver:2.1 AL9 super socket 7 board with Ali chipset from a scrapper. But it was wounded already so it has these problems i need to fix:

On the photo you can see that it is missing a alu heatsink which had a component attached (2 pins are still there, the rest is torn of for the alu). I'm not good with electronics but i can fix this if i know what needs to be placed there.
I think it is some kind of voltage regulator? Any way, if anybody has the same revision of this board then please can you tell me what's missing? I assume there's also a cap missing next to the other one.

Last but not least: It's missing the bios chip (they always rip them off). I do not have the same board laying around otherwise a hotflash would be no problem. Can it be done on a DIFFERENT board and just force the flash??

I see all kinds of cheap eeprom flash devices from china but which one do i need to be able to flash 486/p1/p2/p3 bios chips? Which chips do i need to order for these boards?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMAG0448.jpg
    Filename
    IMAG0448.jpg
    File size
    1.17 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 1 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The BIOS is a DIP package, so hot flashing on another motherboard (or potentially a network card) should work fine.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 18, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes? Even on another type of board?

Flashing with an ethernet card i never did. Might give that a try 🤣

Reply 3 of 18, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes you can flash it on a different board, it doesn't matter. However if you use the official bios flasher for the other board it will probably not recognize the dump, so you need another flashing utility.

One that worked very nicely for all of my boards is called Uniflash. It basically does what it's name stands for : it's an universal rom flashing utility. This saved me quite a few motherboards and also allowed me to make boot roms for some of my network cards. (Netboot is awesome for quick testing, it makes you able to test quickly hardware and all you need is a network card. No more bulky floppy disks, no more CD drives that doesn't want to open anymore, no more "goddamn where did I put the CD ?!", etc ... ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 18, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

Yes you can flash it on a different board, it doesn't matter. However if you use the official bios flasher for the other board it will probably not recognize the dump, so you need another flashing utility.

One that worked very nicely for all of my boards is called Uniflash. It basically does what it's name stands for : it's an universal rom flashing utility. This saved me quite a few motherboards and also allowed me to make boot roms for some of my network cards. (Netboot is awesome for quick testing, it makes you able to test quickly hardware and all you need is a network card. No more bulky floppy disks, no more CD drives that doesn't want to open anymore, no more "goddamn where did I put the CD ?!", etc ... ^^

That last part sounds nice, can you please explain to me how that goes? How do i make such a network card?

Reply 5 of 18, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the BIOS you probably need an 'Atmel AT29C020(A)' 256KB or equivalent EEPROM.

Here are some photos of an undamaged board, but I cannot read the markings:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252738122209

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 18, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

Yes? Even on another type of board?

Flashing with an ethernet card i never did. Might give that a try 🤣

MS-5169 uses 1Mbit flash chip which can be supported by many ethernet cards. I've flashed many 1Mbit chips with a 3COM 905C ethernet card and the flashrom utility. From a vague ms5169.jpg picture it seems to have the Winbond W29EE011 chip, which is quite popular, affordable and programmer-friendly. Near the flash chip there is a JP8 jumper which is not documented in the manual but I guess it's the selector for 5V or 12V flash chips, but better stay with 5V chips because many boards and cards can't flash 12V chips unless you wire 12V directly to the VPP.
The V2 and V2.1 versions of MS5169 have JP8 but the V3 and V4 don't. The board in the picture doesn't have the missing component on your board, and the green capacitor is located differently than your board, so I reckon this board has a different version number. Here are pictures of V3 and V4. I can't find 2.1, tho.
s-l1600.jpg
file.php?id=172&sid=b1caf1ac3119a33015c5561530bc3e71

Reply 7 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some options for doing the flash, including Uniflash:
http://www.rainbow-software.org/uniflash/
and Flashrom:
https://www.flashrom.org/Flashrom
Flashrom DOS build:
http://buildbot.flashrom.org/buildresults/fla … 000577-MQE/dos/

What's the TO-220 part # in the second picture, top left?

Reply 8 of 18, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

That last part sounds nice, can you please explain to me how that goes? How do i make such a network card?

You need a PCI network card with a ROM socket. I have some 3c905b-tx that use exactly the same ROM chips as Motherboards. Once you have a network card that looks nice, look on the internet for a PXE boot rom designed for your card. 3com ones are easy to find. Once you flashed it you can enjoy booting from the network. (So you have to setup a boot server of course)

The only downsides are :
- you need hardware new enough to have roms made for PXE. Older ones allow you to boot from an RPL server, however I tried to make one with my little raspberry pi and I failed. It would be nice though, because this would actually allow me to boot from network with older hardware (even ISA cards are supporting this. I could boot my 486 from the network, this would be very cool !)
- For some reason, I never manged to boot from an ISO image which would be very useful to install quickly windows. I'm stuck with floppies ...(and once you booted on one of them you can't change it of course. Let's say you wanted to install windows 3.x with that, well since it asks more than one floppy, you can't install it. However you can put as many single bootable floppy as you want. I have an image from my 98SE boot floppy, memtest86, a floppy with killdisk on it and a network floppy) However one floppy is enough to start a net utility that allows you to browse a samba server for exemple (which is also within my raspberry pi)

My dream would be to install DOS, Windows, etc from the network on any of my computers with 16 bit ISA slots or better. Even though I'm pretty close to it hardware wise, like I said, finding how to make things work is quite hard since there is very little informations ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 9 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The same method can be used for flashing BIOS EEPROMs. It's just a matter of using the right image when you flash, then you can pop the chip into the BIOS socket on the board you're fixing.

Reply 10 of 18, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks a lot guys! I'll look into it. I do have some 3com 905B cards laying around. Does i need to be exactly Winbond W29EE011 or are there others from Winbond that work as well?

Above pictures show that there is a revision that doesn't have the mosfet, would that mean i don't need it to boot the board? or is that a too big of a chance to take?
How can i determine the value of that mosfet?

Reply 11 of 18, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

Thanks a lot guys! I'll look into it. I do have some 3com 905B cards laying around. Does i need to be exactly Winbond W29EE011 or are there others from Winbond that work as well?

It's more important to check voltage, pin-compatibility and structure than brands when you are looking for alternative flash chips.
For example, SST 29EE010 seems a good candidate because it's also 5V, organized in 128 bit x 1024 pages without boot block and supported by flashrom. It's a good start to search from the flashrom-supported chips.

Reply 12 of 18, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, thanx. next time i will take boards that haven't been touched yet 🤣

Anybody who has some thoughts about the mosfet/transistor? I would love to know the value or know if i can use the board without it (because some revision's don't have it. I don't know its purpose)

Reply 13 of 18, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I assume the bottom pin is connected on the other side?

If only two pins of this device are wired up, it's a just a diode.

Otherwise I'd need to know what it connects to. Got a multimeter handy? Have at it with a continuity tester.

Otherwise, with a heatsink like that, I'm guessing voltage regulator.

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 14 of 18, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The two big pins you see on the photo held the heatsink in place, the connection was the 3 small holes to the right side of them on the picture. All 3 were connected as i can see right trough the solder at all 3 points.

So it is a big heatsink for such a small thing.

I have a multimeter.

Reply 15 of 18, by dosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's the linear regulator that drops the 5V down to whatever the CPU needs, like e.g. 3V. It's most likely an LT1084: http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/108345fh.pdf

It needs a big heatsink because it converts the voltage difference (VxI) into heat.

Measure the resistance from pin 1 (the one closest to the RAM slots) to GND. It should be a few kOhms. If you change the jumpers for the CPU voltage, the resistance should change accordingly.

When you buy the replacement part, make sure you get the adjustable version, not the fixed voltage version.

As for the BIOS, I would advise against hot flashing. It works, I have done it, but you do run the risk of frying something. Why do that when you can get a good programmer for less than $40?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Speed-TL866CS-Pr … iQAAOSwFNZW1VCa

If you just fry one board, you probably wasted as much money as the programmer would cost ...

Coppermine Celeron 800 @ 1.12GHz (8x140) - Asus P2B Rev. 1.12 - 256MB PC133 CL2 - Voodoo5 5500 AGP - SB AWE64 CT4520 - Roland SCC-1 - Intel Pro/1000GT - 1.44MB Floppy - ATAPI ZIP 100 - 120GB IDE - DVD-ROM - DVD-R/RW/RAM - Win98SE

Reply 16 of 18, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosgamer wrote:
That's the linear regulator that drops the 5V down to whatever the CPU needs, like e.g. 3V. It's most likely an LT1084: http://c […]
Show full quote

That's the linear regulator that drops the 5V down to whatever the CPU needs, like e.g. 3V. It's most likely an LT1084: http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/108345fh.pdf

It needs a big heatsink because it converts the voltage difference (VxI) into heat.

Measure the resistance from pin 1 (the one closest to the RAM slots) to GND. It should be a few kOhms. If you change the jumpers for the CPU voltage, the resistance should change accordingly.

When you buy the replacement part, make sure you get the adjustable version, not the fixed voltage version.

As for the BIOS, I would advise against hot flashing. It works, I have done it, but you do run the risk of frying something. Why do that when you can get a good programmer for less than $40?

If you just fry one board, you probably wasted as much money as the programmer would cost ...

Thanx!

I will measure it, if the ohms DO change and it is a voltage regulator then PLEASE tell which part to buy exactly as i have no clue. In other words: what is the switching version of the LT1084 called? And can i place that one without any problems?

EDIT: i just measured it with my multimeter and the values indeed change on the left pin (to ground) when i change jumper settings for cpu voltage.

Last edited by meljor on 2017-02-07, 19:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 18, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW any reason why some revisions (from pictures) seem to have the same layout but on them this particular regulator and heatsink is not placed?

If it is such an important regulator (for cpu) why do other versions work without it?

Reply 18 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosgamer wrote:
That's the linear regulator that drops the 5V down to whatever the CPU needs, like e.g. 3V. It's most likely an LT1084: http://c […]
Show full quote

Or try the NIC method as you can power down when you swap.