VOGONS

First post, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm putting together a new Win98 machine with some of the hardware from my last haul, but I noticed the PIII-500 was running with only passive cooling. Anyone know how hot these get and if I can could just cool it with case airflow?

New build specs:

Case Generic Black ATX Case, with a (now defunct) local PC store's badge (I dub this case "BlackMind")
CPU PIII-500Mhz Slot1
Mobo Asus P2B-D Motherboard
RAM 512MB (4x128mb) PC100
HDD WD 80GB IDE
ODD Pioneer DVD-RW IDE
Floppy Generic Black 3.5"

Video Rage Fury Pro 128 32MB (AGP) -- stolen from the PII-350 for now
Sound(Windows) Diamond Monster Sound MX300 A3D
Sound(DOS) Creative AWE64 CT4520 ISA
NIC 3Com Fast Etherlink XL (10/100)
Other OPTi Firelink USB 2.0

Attachments

• case.jpg
    Filename
    case.jpg
    File size
    297.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • front.jpg
    Filename
    front.jpg
    File size
    74.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got an HP Vectra VL with a P3-450 fanless and it seems perfectly fine without a fan. The heatsink doesn't get overly hot to the touch, and the case is designed with a an exhaust blower to suck the heat from the heatsink out the back of the case.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 16, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
happycube wrote:

Make sure it's a 500E (Coppermine) - that'll run a lot cooler.

I checked, it's a Katmai 😒

happycube wrote:

And if you ever put on anything but 98 on there, get another one!

Definitely Win98...and yeah, I was thinking about the getting another one for dual, but its pointless for what I'm running on this.

Reply 5 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a fanless pentium 2 400 which runs nice. I even overclocked it to 448MHz and I've got absolutely no problems. The psu blows some air on it so I think it helps quite a bit

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 16, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a machine with a PIII 550 MHz Katmai with passive cooling. Worse, the motherboard doesn't have a CPU fan connector. The original case I took it from had a complicated ducted cooling system which couldn't be tranferred to the new case. I just have a powerful case fan blowing air onto it. Hopefully that will be enough to prevent overheating.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/04/28/550mh … as_overheating/

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh I would just make sure the rear fan is good, maybe a front one blowing cool air towards the CPU as well.

Both my duel Katmai 600 system is passive.
The Prolient 1600 documentation said if upgrading to 500Mhz or more a termal upgrade kit was required, as far as I could tell it was some ducting and a better fan. I simply added 2 80MM fans and works fine

Finish_CPU.jpg

My Asus based system has fans everywhere! but also has a lot of other components generating heat (v2 sli, SCSI, soundcards)
Asus P2B-DS Build

Neither have heat problems

off topic
Win2000 actually makes a real good Win9x gaming rig, and then you can use that 2nd CPU slot just begging to be populated 😉
(I'll fully admit it makes no real world difference, but it gets bonus cool points)

Reply 13 of 16, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ Nice cooling solution up there with the Noctuas. Much better to enfilade the Slot 1's than to blow transversely on them as usual.

Provided enough case ventilation, even a Slot 1 Coppermine 733 can (and has) run OK with an (appropiately sized) passive heatsink.

fGeP4EFS.jpg

Last edited by TELVM on 2017-02-07, 18:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Let the air flow!

Reply 15 of 16, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, so far it's been fine heat, even under decent load. And having only 2 fans (plus a newer IDE drive), it's nice and quiet!

When spring rolls around, I'll probably beef up the cooling... I do plan to replace the 80mm fan with 120mm (though it is a really good fan and I don't have any good 120's at the moment) and add another fan on the front.

Reply 16 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the motherboard supports it, one could install a socket 370 Pentium III coppermine on a slotket, with a net speed below 550MHz or something (take a 133MHz FSB one). Then set the Slotket to a Voltage request of 1.3 --> Same performance as these 2.0V Katmais at less then half the heat dissipation.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul