VOGONS

First post, by SilverGreen93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I recently received as a gift a 5ALI61 Super Socket 7 motherboard with an AMD K6-2-400 CPU and a quite newer ATI Radeon 9250 AGP video card.
Chipset: ALi Aladdin V M1542 northbridge and M1543 southbridge.
I moved my HDD with Windows 95 from the previous PMMX CPU to this motherboard, but surprinsingly I cannot get any generic video driver (XGA, SVGA) to work at 1024x768. I'm limited to 640x480 16 colors.
Also, I cannot find a driver for the PCI ISA bridge, although the rest of the drivers have installed successfully.
Is there any chance I can get Windows 95 running fine? I'm not interested in any graphic performance, just to be able to change to a higher resolution.
I know ATI hasn't got official drivers for Windows 95, maybe some generic ones will do. (The same question about generic drivers for Windows 3.11? Are there any?)
Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For 9x, there's the VBEMP generic driver: http://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/vbe9x.htm

It has no acceleration, and DOS Boxes might crash with it, but it's better than nothing.

Reply 2 of 4, by SilverGreen93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I'll try.

For now it seems that my major problem is that the PCI ISA bridge is not detected and I cannot install any ISA cards because of this... The driver should be built-in Windows 95, it detects it as PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_1533 ALi M1533 PCI to ISA bridge, but it never installs it. When I click on FInish after selecting the driver it does nothing, it doen't even hang. It doesn't let me finish installing.

Reply 3 of 4, by SilverGreen93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I figured it out myself. The main problem had to do with Interrupts. I played with the PNP OS: Yes/No in BIOS and with the Manual/Auto Interrupt setups and now all works fine 😀
I needed to disable VGA IRQ5 to free an IRQ for the ISA soundcard.

Reply 4 of 4, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you installed the AMD patch file for Win 95?

The .exe you need is: Amdk6upd.exe

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windows95/troub-67.html

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66