VOGONS

First post, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

For my upcoming project which is kinda uncharted territory for me I need some advice on for components 😎
For this project I want to build a AT ss7. However choices for this seem rather limited due mostly they are already ATX form.
Anyway I already have some stuff in mind (or rather I recently bought a lovely mini AT tower locally) which already had some decent stuff in it.

It's main purpose will be windows gaming on a similar level as my pentium 2.

Anyway for the build and components:
Mobo: advice needed here since I have no experience with ss7 and documentation is impossible to find for AT / baby AT formfactor.
I ofcourse know the FIC boards but that's it. My preference would go to via chipset though
Cpu: got my eyes set on a k6-3+
Gpu: either a voodoo banshee or voodoo 3 (kinda want a banshee since that's what I had in my first p2 )
Ram: pc100 something depending on the mobo
Sound card: I got my hands on a SB 128 along with the case.

The mobo is pretty much the part I am unfamiliar with and most expensive at that. The FIC are ridiculously priced on ebay and had no luck locally. Tnx for the advice.

Reply 2 of 38, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't comment on SS7-AT boards, as I have only had ATX boards, when it comes to this platform.
If you go for Voodoo3, then you need to determine if the AGP port is a "crippeled" one.
Regarding the soundcard, then go for ISA if you need to run Dos software.
If it is a pure Win98 machine, then stick with PCI cards.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love the ss7 platform. I had a few AT ss7 boards but most of them are gone now since i decided to keep mostly Asus boards (they are my favorite and otherwise i need even more space!).
So i mostly use p5a (atx boards) but also have the p5a-b.
The Asus p5a-b is indeed a very good board. Also still have a Jetway J542B and it is very good as well (also Ali V chipset). Earlier had a very similar Jetway J542C and it was fine too.

Personally i'm not a big fan of the Via mvp3 chipset for ss7 (but other people love them).

Most ss7 AT boards are baby AT that also have atx connectors so they can be used in atx cases also. Max cacheable ram on most ss7 boards is 128mb with a k6-2 (or intel, cyrix).
K6-3 does not have that problem and also k6-2+ and k6-3+ are not slower with more ram.

Important: The p5a-b can ONLY run the k6-3+ right if it is a revision 1.03 or 1.04! Later revisions have a problem with the mobile cpu's and it can not be fixed (but do run fine with a normal k6-3).

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 38, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:
I can't comment on SS7-AT boards, as I have only had ATX boards, when it comes to this platform. If you go for Voodoo3, then you […]
Show full quote

I can't comment on SS7-AT boards, as I have only had ATX boards, when it comes to this platform.
If you go for Voodoo3, then you need to determine if the AGP port is a "crippeled" one.

Actually, the Voodoo 3 is very resilient to AGP glitches as it generally uses the AGP slot as a fast clocked PCI slot and avoids most of the other features.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
brostenen wrote:
I can't comment on SS7-AT boards, as I have only had ATX boards, when it comes to this platform. If you go for Voodoo3, then you […]
Show full quote

Actually, the Voodoo 3 is very resilient to AGP glitches as it generally uses the AGP slot as a fast clocked PCI slot and avoids most of the other features.

Correct, but some boards have a linear voltage regulator that can not handle the power that a v3 3000 needs (the lower clocked 2000 version might be on the edge).
These boards can get defective or kill the card (or both). So if in doubt always check.

The same thing happened to some 440LX boards, the market wasn't completely ready for the ''power hungry'' next generation vga's.

Article about it here:

https://books.google.nl/books?id=EwIAAAAAMBAJ … gulator&f=false

Reply 6 of 38, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
meljor wrote:
Correct, but some boards have a linear voltage regulator that can not handle the power that a v3 3000 needs (the lower clocked 2 […]
Show full quote

Correct, but some boards have a linear voltage regulator that can not handle the power that a v3 3000 needs (the lower clocked 2000 version might be on the edge).
These boards can get defective or kill the card (or both). So if in doubt always check.

The same thing happened to some 440LX boards, the market wasn't completely ready for the ''power hungry'' next generation vga's.

Article about it here:

https://books.google.nl/books?id=EwIAAAAAMBAJ … gulator&f=false

My intention is to stick with the better mobo companies of that time like asus, gigabyte, Fic and Atrend (dunno if they produced ss7 though).

Didn't know the p5a had a at version, guess the gigabyte ga5-a has one aswell. All those mobos are expensive (the mobo is more expensive then the rest combined. The + version on the k6 is not required but makes it easier I the wish for oc ever arises

brostenen wrote:
Show full quote

Will be pure windows pc, got a p1 for late Dos game

Reply 7 of 38, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

Yes, that's absolutely true. The FIC PA2013 is generally an excellent board, for example, but early revisions have this weak AGP power supply design. VIA MVP3 boards can also have problems with some AGP cards due to the signaling implementation used, so it's important to watch out on both counts.

Reply 8 of 38, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
gdjacobs wrote:
meljor wrote:

Yes, that's absolutely true. The FIC PA2013 is generally an excellent board, for example, but early revisions have this weak AGP power supply design. VIA MVP3 boards can also have problems with some AGP cards due to the signaling implementation used, so it's important to watch out on both counts.

Since I am kinda set on the banshee or voodoo 3, would these cause problems with asus/gigabyte/Fic mobos or just certain revisions?

Reply 9 of 38, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have found the PC Chips M577 a very solid choice when it comes to Baby AT SS7 boards. I have been usng one of these with a Voodoo Banshee for a couple of years wthout experiencing any issues.

VIA MVP3
1 MB cache (256 MB cacheable range).
2.0V - 3.5V CPU core voltage with 0.1V steps.
Support for all Socket 7 CPUs (with an easy to find patched BIOS).

Here is one on Ebay (US) costing $50 but you can try to offer less. The board in the aution is a rev 3.0 board so it should handle even a Voodoo 3. It's a bare board so if you want to use a PS/2 mouse or USB you need to buy the "ATX form card" Asus and PC Chips used at the time. You also need to get a pack of IDE/floppy cables and the usual AT port brackets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Motherboard-P … QYAAOSwA3dYjnby

The form factor card (it dosn't say which motherboard its for but I think all boards use the same pinout).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-Tech-ATX-Form-Card- … 8IAAOSwCQNWg55F

Or cheaper on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Tech-Form-Ports-Mouse- … r/dp/B019ZBDW8G

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10 of 38, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A Super Socket 7 motherboard that I have is the Gigabyte GA-5AA (just happens to be the only Super Socket 7 one that I have).
It utilises the ALi M1542 & M1543C chipsets and has both an AT & ATX power connector.
It is also a Baby AT form factor motherboard.

Some people are also quite happy with the GA-5AX, but that one only has an ATX power connector and is a standard ATX form factor.

Reply 11 of 38, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
meljor wrote:

That was exactly what I was referring to. 😉 I know about the FIC PA2013 and linear regulators, and I have been told that early SS7 boards suffer from that as well. Something about early AGP cards not drawing too much power, hence makers of certain motherboards skipping on the AGP specifications on the SS7 platform. I could just not remember that it was called linear regulators. 🤣

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12 of 38, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Skyscraper wrote:
I have found the PC Chips M577 a very solid choice when it comes to Baby AT SS7 boards. I have been usng one of these with a Voo […]
Show full quote

I have found the PC Chips M577 a very solid choice when it comes to Baby AT SS7 boards. I have been usng one of these with a Voodoo Banshee for a couple of years wthout experiencing any issues.

VIA MVP3

Might want to look into that, however I always had a bad feeling about PC chips and some of those lower end mobo's.

jesolo wrote:
A Super Socket 7 motherboard that I have is the Gigabyte GA-5AA (just happens to be the only Super Socket 7 one that I have). It […]
Show full quote

A Super Socket 7 motherboard that I have is the Gigabyte GA-5AA (just happens to be the only Super Socket 7 one that I have).
It utilises the ALi M1542 & M1543C chipsets and has both an AT & ATX power connector.
It is also a Baby AT form factor motherboard.

Some people are also quite happy with the GA-5AX, but that one only has an ATX power connector and is a standard ATX form factor.

Normally I would've either chosen a GA-5AX or Asus P5A, however I want to dedicate this project to AT rather then ATX.
the GA-5AA seems to support the CPU I want, so the the CPU is going to be either a K6-3 or K6-3+, for the extra cacheable ram and compability. Since I do not want to stress the Ram to much I will stick with 128 Mb modules with a max 384 Mb, since I won't be OCing it pc-100 ram should be just fine. prices for the Voodoo banshee and 3 are not that different, and both should be run just fine on the GA-5AA as far I can tell (dunno if this still true for the later revs and maybe a Voodoo 3 3000)
Ebay currently has 1 GA-5AA rev 3,2 (and not to expensive at that) and accepting offers, so I'll look into that.

Reply 13 of 38, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Richo wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
I have found the PC Chips M577 a very solid choice when it comes to Baby AT SS7 boards. I have been usng one of these with a Voo […]
Show full quote

VIA MVP3

Might want to look into that, however I always had a bad feeling about PC chips and some of those lower end mobo's.

Here are Amoretros (member FGB) thoughts on the PC Chips M577. You need to use Google Translate if you don't know basic German.

http://www.amoretro.de/2011/11/pc-chips-m577- … ron_pm9900.html

The PC Chips M577 of course isn't a perfect motherboard, those don't exist among Baby AT SS7 boards but it dosn't have any huge flaws either.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 14 of 38, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have almost the same setup as you're going for.

I went with the P5A-B and def +1 for that. Try to get the latest BIOS revision...
I had a V3 3500 but swapped out for a V3 3000 just to avoid the crazy bulky cable needed for the 3500.

Reply 15 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the Ga-5aa has a good price i think it is a good choice.

If you find other boards you can look at this page and see if there's a bios for it to support the k6-3+ http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

I don't know about the ga-5aa and a voodoo3 3000 (i think it will be ok) but a banshee is a safe bet on any board.

Reply 16 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CHEAP: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Super-Socket- … nsAAOSwUKxYl0x4

Reply 17 of 38, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

Its a good deal as long as the price dosn't go up too much in the final seconds of bidding! 😀

Much information about the DFI P5BV3 here http://www.udo-richter.de/DFI/index.en.html

As this is an early revison board running a Voodoo 3 probably isn't a good idea without active cooling on the VRM but a Voodoo Banshee will probably work fine.

Also note that this board only seems to have 512KB Cache.

It does support the K6-2/3+ CPUs with a beta BIOS but the link to the BIOS seems dead.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2017-02-07, 21:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, you're so right! I guess i just proved i never use Ebay.....just saw the price and forgot about the bidding 🤣

Reply 19 of 38, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can always set your max price and use auto bidding. Manual bid sniping isn't really a thing anymore.