Any Love For Socket 5?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 41, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpectriaForce wrote:
Socket 5 is not even interesting from a historical perspective; if you want to build the first Pentium pc, then you need socket […]
Show full quote

Socket 5 is not even interesting from a historical perspective; if you want to build the first Pentium pc, then you need socket 4.

Socket 5 motherboards are also currently not cheaper than socket 7. Searching on ebay for socket 5 yesterday resulted in only a few hits and it seems like socket 5 was mainly used by OEM's (perhaps due to the high price).

So really only if you insist on building a period correct 1995ish Pentium pc, then this is the socket for you.

Apart from all the disadvantages, it's still a socket with plenty of flexibility if you act like socket 7 doesn't exist. You can build a high end DOS pc and/or an early 3D game pc by using anything from a Pentium 75 up to a Pentium Overdrive MMX 200. PCI opens the gate to many graphics cards, the Pentium CPU's are dirt cheap and 72-pin SIMM's are everywhere.

I think Socket 5 does have its place 😀
It's the first of a new size (disregarding s3, which only has the POD at the same size as the s5 CPUs), getting progressively upgraded as Socket 7 and ss7. The size of the socket remained basically the same, meaning that even sA HSFs can theoretically fit Socket 5.
Some s5 boards may offer very low FSB speeds, which may be interesting for some. I'm pretty sure some Vogoners have actually experimented with this 😜

Socket 5 always seemed to be very rare compared to s7 and ss7 and about as hard to find as s4. s3 was much more common compared either s4 or s5.
I always found s5 interesting, if only because it seemed kinda obscure. I think I have only 1 such board and it was the only one I ever seen in the wild.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 41 of 41, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Socket 5 always seemed to be very rare compared to s7 and ss7 and about as hard to find as s4. s3 was much more common compared either s4 or s5.
I always found s5 interesting, if only because it seemed kinda obscure. I think I have only 1 such board and it was the only one I ever seen in the wild.

I've seen a few (less than Socket 3 and definitely more than Socket 4) though I have only one: a Digital Celebris 560 board (VLSI chipset) with both Socket 4 and 5. Of course you can use only one at a time, it even has an extra VRM for 3.3 Volts that obstructs Socket 4 when used and different cache modules for the two sockets/voltages. I only have this one because of the Socket 4 and I only tested the Socket 5 half on arrival because I have much smaller and more flexible boards for the Socket 5 (or 7) CPUs. So S5 doesn't get much love from me, I feel a little ashamed 🙁 S4, on the other hand, had been on my wish list for a good while.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts