VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this mATX Socket 370 board that recognizes the PS/2 keyboard plugged into it about every other time the computer boots up. When I unplug the keyboard and plug it back in, the keyboard is usually recognized at the next boot up.

Is this a common symptom of some kind of hardware failure? The caps look okay but of course could be failing. I have no special attachment to this board and am just wondering whether I should recycle it. Thanks for any help.

Reply 1 of 7, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you checked for cracked solder joints for the ps2 ports. Maybe by unplugging and plugging it back in your temporarily reconnecting the connector. Also have you tried a different keyboard with this system as well as this keyboard with other systems to rule it out as a possibility

Reply 3 of 7, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your replies. I did check the solder joints, and they look okay to me. I'm still troubleshooting the board, and I may have determined that the SDRAM is failing. Pretty close to returning this board to the Earth.

Reply 6 of 7, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mut wrote:

Is it asus?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it is an ASUS Socket 370 OEM board. Is this a known issue with ASUS or something?

I haven't tried with a USB keyboard yet.

Reply 7 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote:
Mut wrote:

Is it asus?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it is an ASUS Socket 370 OEM board. Is this a known issue with ASUS or something?

I haven't tried with a USB keyboard yet.

Have you tried other memory modules yet? Was there anything wrong with the old modules?

And maybe a strange question, but have you tried inserting a brand new coin cell battery? I remember having had troubles with a system that refused to make it to the desktop and it turned out the battery was running low. We for the heck of us could not fix it till we switched the battery out.

And it's fast and cheap to try out.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!