VOGONS

Sinclair PC200. How to expand?

Topic actions

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. I'm planning to buy pc200. I know it has two small ISA slots, and I just wonder, what is the best way to get for it?
Is there a sense to get VGA card for it? It is 8086, maybe I should stick to onboard graphics.
Same thing: Sound card? Is there any sense to get some adlib or sb for such old games? If yes, what card can fir in it?
One of the CF will be used for CF card that I ordered. I just wonder what else I should get for it.

Reply 3 of 22, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That would work. I see this machine it doesn't have a screw bracket for expansion cards, just a removable panel in the side of the case.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 22, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You've got some problems. You'll want to add:
- An xtide card (or an idecf card) plus HDD.
- A VGA
- A sound card.
- A network card to transfer files.

That's four cards, and you have serious space restrictions. At least, I'd try to get the first two cards... unless somebody make a combo card that save you some slots.

Reply 6 of 22, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

You really need something like that IBM 5161 expansion chassis.

Do those also need an expansion card to connect the expansion chassis to the host computer?

I'm also not sure how much gaming with proper sound you can do on a 8086, most games either lacked sound or made use of the PC speaker (beeps and the like) back then.

Reply 7 of 22, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Adlib. The proper sound for a 8086 would be an Adlib card.

Also, a parallel to ethernet adapter could be used instead of an ISA card but those things are expensive. The network card would be useful if you intend to copy files from/to the PC200, but if you use a idecf card or (cheap but slow) a laplink cable it is not necessary.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 22, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes you need an extender card in one box and a receiver card in the other, with a cable connecting the two.

The AdLib card came out in 1987. I think that's when most games began to support sound cards.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 10 of 22, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were a time when 10baseT (RJ45) was growing but there were lots of 10base2 (BNC) networks. At that time there were switches that had RJ45 connections (even small switches with 4 RJ45 connections) and a single BNC connector to join old and new networks.

Also, I'm sure that you could connect RJ45 transceivers throug AUI connectors (those 15 pin connectors found on old ethernet cards). I've seen BNC, RJ45 and AUI connectors on 16 bit ISA cards, but I don'tk now about 8 bit ISA cards.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 11 of 22, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Attached list of games that support both 8088 / 8086 and AdLib. Data from MobyGames.

There are errors, which I haven't checked, due to duplicate titles in the original lists - either re-releases or different games with same name

eta: also, some games are reported as being AdLib compatible by Moby's game browser which actually aren't (e.g. The Lurking Horror). I don't know the reason for this.

Attachments

• Filename
    808X_Adlib.rar
    File size
    5.32 KiB
    Downloads
    94 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 22, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zup wrote:

There were a time when 10baseT (RJ45) was growing but there were lots of 10base2 (BNC) networks. At that time there were switches that had RJ45 connections (even small switches with 4 RJ45 connections) and a single BNC connector to join old and new networks.

Also, I'm sure that you could connect RJ45 transceivers throug AUI connectors (those 15 pin connectors found on old ethernet cards). I've seen BNC, RJ45 and AUI connectors on 16 bit ISA cards, but I don'tk now about 8 bit ISA cards.

I have an Intel "8/16 LAN Adapter Ethernet" which I now realize from its name must work with 8 bit ISA. However it only has BNC and AUI connections.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 14 of 22, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Niezgodka wrote:

Is it worth it, to get vga for XT? I have 286 with VGA.

VGA is usually faster than both CGA/HGC, so you'll see some performance improvements on your XT.
But since you already have got a 286 with VGA, you have to decide yourself if you have any need for an XT machine with VGA.
Don't ask me, ony my XT I'm still stuck with the on-board CGA and composite video. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 22, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pics attached of the expansion bay for this model

eta: I assume that if this machine had been a success Amstrad would have released special expansion cards to fit it. Maybe even a 5161-type expansion chassis. As it is the expansion options are very limited, at least if you want to run it with the lid closed. Has anyone ever made a DIY expansion chassis for computers with limited ISA slots?

Attachments

• IMG_1950.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1950.jpg
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    417.89 KiB
    Views
    File license

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 16 of 22, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

eta: I assume that if this machine had been a success Amstrad would have released special expansion cards to fit it.

I don't think so.

This computer hit the market when Amstrad own PC1512 and PC1640 were already obsolete (and in some cases, cheaper) because almost everybody was moving into 286. This computer was the lower end of low end computers. Also, I guess this "computer on a keyboard" designs were never intended to be expandable (hint: it would have been easy to fit a "riser card" and put the slots in horizontal so at least one card should fit without having to open the back cover).

This computer took the legacy of 8 bit computers, that were designed as "family computers". That self contained design with TV output (so you could buy it without monitor) was intended for people (kids, families) that wanted a computer but were not computer literates.

Somewhere I read that PC200 was in fact based in Amstrad PPC512 laptops... another design not inteded to be expandable.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 17 of 22, by -B-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,
I run a PC200 Facebook Group where we discuss such things. Search for "PC200 and PC20 Users"

My own PC200's have been upgraded to 640K, V30 processor, 8087 co-processor, low-profile VGA card (like the one shown above), 4GB CF HDD (2x 2GB partitions under DOS 5.0) and home made external FDD.

Join the group and ask away.

IMG_3776.JPG
Filename
IMG_3776.JPG
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license

-B-