VOGONS

First post, by amon26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey gang, I got recommended here from a friend because I'm hitting some serious walls restoring a compaq lte elite 4/75cx. It's late/early and I'm a little punchdrunk from going in circles but I'll try to give you the jist.

Came with no HDD, malfunctioning FDD.
Ordered in a CF to IDE adapter, Compact Flash 2gb (maker: transcend) Hard Drive caddy and replacement belt for FDD.
Used everything from winimage to poweriso to try writing VHD's to the CF. Both ones I've personally made in Virtualbox and ones downloaded.
No go, doesn't even recognize there's a disk in there. Every now and again get "Disk error 1782". Cant tell if its a problem with the CF card, Adapter, Caddy or motherboard.
I've heard that some CF-IDE adapters need to be identified to the computer in systems bios, but I cant find the bios. From everything I'm reading I hear the bios is supposed to be written onto the HDD as system recovery tools. So, yeah.

oh, and the floppy drive replacement belt didn't seem to do anything. I just keep getting 'replace disk and strike any key' when it checks a:

I don't want to give up on it because it seems to be in very good shape otherwise. I just need to get the drives working. Anybody know of any software or adapters i'm missing? Any advice helps at this point.

Reply 2 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're not alone with this. I wasn't able to use a CF card in my Compaq Contura, either.
The adapter was fine and the card was detected, but drive geometry was strange.
I tried different cards, ranging from 256MM to 2GB, but to no vail. Try a drive-overlay software as a last resort.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 16, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have both a Compaq Contura Aero 4/33c and a Compaq Contura 400CX.
Both use Disk-on-modules instead of hdd's and without a problem. One is 512mb the 400CX uses a 2GB 44 pin drive and both run wonderfull.
One Cranky thing is that you need to use the setup disk to create a Bios partition on the HDD first, otherwise you cannot setup anything.
If you don't have the floppy disk software to setup the partition then you can't proceed. I found it through a German site but can't look for it now since I am at work.
Alot of the Contura and 4/xx range of notebooks use the same setup disk so that should help.

Reply 4 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the information! I do have the setup floppies.
I made them from the Bios partition that was still on the original HDD.. 😀
Haven't tried Disk-on-modules so far, though. I gues I will try a 256MB module next time.
Btw, what kind of size do you recommend ? Do you know if your Compaqs can handle modules larger than 512MB ?
My Contura does insist on using auto-detection, I believe (in Bios setup; I have to check that again).

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 16, by amon26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

jo, any chance you could send me images of those floppies? I might be able to use them 😀 thanks

I also read up on something about CF's needing to be UDMA format to work well as a harddrive. Ive got one of those coming in the mail. As for the dead floppy drive, I'm not sure what luck I'm gonna have replacing it. I found one that looks very similar, but I'm worried about the flat ribbon cable not reaching over/fitting into the socket correctly. Wow, this is turning out to be a much bigger adventure than i thought.

Anyway thanks for all the info everyone. Ill keep you updated on what I find out.

Reply 6 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PM sent.

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

amon26, also have a look at a homepage called "all about the Compaq Contura Aero".
This one mentions some iupdates/drivers from Compaq (not only for the Aero).
The original download links to the Compaq FTP servers are also still functioning.

http://www.zenspider.com/~pwilk/aero_stuff.html
Download page: http://www.zenspider.com/~pwilk/handydl.htm

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 16, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Thanks for the information! I do have the setup floppies. I made them from the Bios partition that was still on the original HDD […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the information! I do have the setup floppies.
I made them from the Bios partition that was still on the original HDD.. 😀
Haven't tried Disk-on-modules so far, though. I gues I will try a 256MB module next time.
Btw, what kind of size do you recommend ? Do you know if your Compaqs can handle modules larger than 512MB ?
My Contura does insist on using auto-detection, I believe (in Bios setup; I have to check that again).

Good that you have the floppies, that save alot of time. Don't know what the limit is on the 4/33c but on the 400CX I could maximum use a 2GB Disk on Module.
Bigger wouldn't get detected properly. Will have to dig the 4/33c out at my parents place to find more about it.

Reply 9 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you very much, Nvm1! 😀

I'll try to get hold of a cheap 44pin DOM module and see if I can get it going!
I'd be awesome if I could replace that little HDD to something with more storage capacity.

Don't get me wrong, I kinda like the humming noise of that little drive but I am really running out of space now..
OS/2 2.11 is taking up so much of it, that there's little left for anything else.

If I had something like 500MB or more, I could even try to install Warp 4 and could use my Compaq to try
out applications that still don't run so well in emulation or virtualizers now.

And I also would have some free space for tracker music(the Contura doesn't have a soundcard, but I made a covox plug)..

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 16, by amon26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

3DTqq1ZR10BN.jpg

HE IS RISEN!

Turns out a UDMA CF works really well in these adapters. All I had to do is use winimage to burn the dos 6.22 VHD onto the drive and it knew exactly what to do. Everyone, thank you for replying and helping! 😀

Reply 11 of 16, by amon26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

oh! one more thing. The floppy drive in this is toast. I've looked up the replacement part for it by its part number, but nobody legit seems to be selling any at a decent price. I bought one I thought looked decently close to the stock but it was just a little too long and the connector was totally different. Was there a standard for the size/cable type of these drives or was it all proprietary? Basically, what am i looking for in terms of a replacement?

Reply 12 of 16, by amon26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

And I also would have some free space for tracker music(the Contura doesn't have a soundcard, but I made a covox plug)..

ive been thinking about doing the same for my compaq. ive heard you can get the covox to work with non-covox supported games using a soundblaster emulator. have you had any experience/luck with that at all?

Reply 13 of 16, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting thread... I have had no luck with those CF cards and adapter. I may try again in light of your results.

Regarding the floppy drive... it could be repairable. I have made threads on floppy drive repair by replacing old and weak, if not leaked caps within the housing of the floppy drive. Many times I have been rewarded for perseverance with electronics repair... I'm pretty sure that drive could have a second coming.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 14 of 16, by amon26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unless the circuit boards beneath the drives are interchangeable, not likely. I'm not proud to admit it but while tearing down the drive I went full baby huey and cracked the circuitboard off at the connector. Angelhair copper traces peeled off the board and everything. 😒 I am a monster

Oh one more note about my CF-IDE setup. I'm using a 4GB card. I've heard that 2-4gb is the max that 386-486's can handle.

Reply 15 of 16, by kirikl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you pass me info about belt? I have exact the same model and problem is a belt, but I don't know where to find it. thank you!

GA-5AX/k6-3+ 600mhz
XT Turbo 10mhz
HP TC4200 / NC6400
Sony Vaio PCG-SRX99 / PCG-505TR / C1 Picturebook
Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CXL / LTE 5000
Toshiba T1100+ / T3100e/40 / T3200SXC
Tandy 1400 LT / 1000HX
PB G4 1.33 / G3 300
iBook Cl 300

Reply 16 of 16, by kirikl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using 4GB flash as well there. It should handle 8GB, but apparently not, at least that I tested is not recognized properly

GA-5AX/k6-3+ 600mhz
XT Turbo 10mhz
HP TC4200 / NC6400
Sony Vaio PCG-SRX99 / PCG-505TR / C1 Picturebook
Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CXL / LTE 5000
Toshiba T1100+ / T3100e/40 / T3200SXC
Tandy 1400 LT / 1000HX
PB G4 1.33 / G3 300
iBook Cl 300