VOGONS

ATC-5030 no POST. Now fixed :D

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What happens if you format and fdisk the HDD on another rig? I used to do this all the time as it was a timesaver and I could pre-copy some files to the formatted harddrive so I didn't have to resort to other ways (like using ZIP disks or flash drives..or even floppy disks 😁)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 24, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some hdds that I tried actually had an installation of windows on them.

Real men use the network to boot and setup stuff 🤣 (though all my 3com cards with a boot rom are used in systems, so I can't do that with a test rig. Speaking of network boot I think I should translate my tutorial video on how to create an image of a boot disk that allows you to access to a shared folder)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 22 of 24, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

83.3mhz fsb required by cyrix?? I think that is way too high and it should probably be 75mhz fsb which is still fairly high for an intel chipset and NOT officially supported.
I think the later cyrix's had higher fsb settings and were really for ss7 boards.

Start with an official fsb of 66mhz and go from there....

Edit: Or are you running the mmx@3x66 now?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 23 of 24, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm running the 6x86MX ... but in fact I don't really know at what speed it is running.

Though like I said, if it was running at 83.3MHz fsb back then, it might have hurted a little bit the chipset. But at least the board is still usable if you take an IDE controller card, so it's not a huge deal even though I would have liked to not having to use it.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 24 of 24, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

I'm running the 6x86MX ... but in fact I don't really know at what speed it is running.

Though like I said, if it was running at 83.3MHz fsb back then, it might have hurted a little bit the chipset. But at least the board is still usable if you take an IDE controller card, so it's not a huge deal even though I would have liked to not having to use it.

There are many ways to tell the speed of CPU and FSB. The most direct way is by checking the jumper settings.
You can verify the partition info by using debug. Are you using DMA33 HDDs? You may try limiting the IDE ports to PIO only and see if it solves the problem.