VOGONS

Help with motherboard - Abit PR5 R2

Topic actions

First post, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've found a Socket 7 motherboard, it's an Abit AB-PR5 R2 Rev. 2.41.

Does anyone know if this board can use Pentium MMX or AMD K6 CPUs? The scanty documentation I've found so far only mentions non-MMX Pentiums and AMD K5.

I've seen numerous forums references to people using it with say MMX 200 MHz, but all these threads are at least a decade old. There are also Ebay listings for the board coupled with an MMX CPU, but I'd like to have some solid info.

Anyone have the manual or jumper layout for this specific revision? I've checked in the "usual" places, and only found for other versions of the board and jumpers seem to be different which is confusing.

IMG_1881.JPG
Filename
IMG_1881.JPG
File size
529.85 KiB
Views
File comment
Abit PR5 R2 Rev 2.41
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 32, by GPA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The VRM section looks quite solid, it might suport dual voltage CPUs. I think what you need to do is grab a multimeter and measure...

Measuring of the voltages:
Socket 7 MessaufbauIf you use a load resitor of 100 Ohm between B16 and A17 in the CPU-Socket (in the pic to the upper right), you can measure the core voltage of 2.2V. At the resistor between B18 and A19 (lower right) one can measure the 3.3V supply voltage. (Don't regard the red and black in the picture, you measure between the ends of your resistor, of course). The third 100 Ohm resistor in the upper left is for switching to dual voltage.

CAUTION: before power on close the Socket! The voltage regulators should not be used without load (empty socket)!

The core voltage can be measured between pin 2 (or the housing of the VR) and ground.

(https://www.ccwn.org/~lgeromil/k6_2_e.html).

On my end i had no issues powering boards with no load (empty socket) but i cannot guarantee it would be fine on any board.
My guess, if there is a configurable VRM, it would be configured using jumpers in lower right section of the board, where the voltage regulator is mounted. One more guess, it probably is the longer row, not the shorter one, although can be either or both (shorter would allow for split voltage, longer would choose between levels). I would play with that while the board is switched on and no CPU is plugged in.

Good luck!

Reply 4 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Richo wrote:

or you can download the manual:
download location of manual

Even though the board in the manual looks different, it does indicate it supports split voltage down to 2.7v, which should be enough for Pentium MMX chips.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 32, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unless I'm looking at the wrong manual, that one shows dip switches for setting VC, which I don't have on my board. It also shows both 72-pin and 128-pin memory slots while my board only has 72-pin.

There seems to be numerous versions of PR5, mine is an R2 rev 2.41.

Edit: Thanks lazibayer! That looks more promising!

Reply 7 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lazibayer wrote:

This should clear your doubt.

Looks almost perfectly identical, cheers for finding this! 😁
I overread the revision number, maybe I'm becoming too retro myself 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 32, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kenrouholo wrote:

If it didn't support MMX, I imagine they would've made a socket 5 board, not a socket 7. It probably does. But this is not a guarantee.

There's quite a few boards labeled "socket 7" that do not support dual-voltage CPU's.

Reply 11 of 32, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
c0keb0ttle wrote:

Unfortunately, finding the manual seems to be more difficult... But at least I know the board is supposed to support my CPU.

I found a EXE version of the manual but I am unable to open it under 64bit OS.

Reply 12 of 32, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could be wrong, but i don't think i've ever seen a 430VX not supporting a mmx.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 13 of 32, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've one 430VX that doesn't support the pentium MMX, at least not directly as there is no way of changing the voltage with jumpers. You can however change it by using a VRM, but this is a bit expensive ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 14 of 32, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, so far so bad:

IMG_1883.JPG
Filename
IMG_1883.JPG
File size
260.47 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

No beeps, no error codes.

The CPU and memory works fine with my ASUS board.

Might be a dead motherboard. 🙁

Reply 15 of 32, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm running an MMX 233 in my Socket 7 board that doesn't support split voltage. I found a lot of people from 'back in the day' saying that they upgraded systems even using socket 5 boards like this without issue. Mines been running fine, though I did rig a large heatsink fan (non standard) to make sure it keeps nice and cool. I wouldn't recommend it if you didn't need to (I have no choice, it's an IBM Aptiva with OEM motherboard) but if you have no other choice, well it works for me

Reply 16 of 32, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nipedley wrote:

I'm running an MMX 233 in my Socket 7 board that doesn't support split voltage. I found a lot of people from 'back in the day' saying that they upgraded systems even using socket 5 boards like this without issue. Mines been running fine, though I did rig a large heatsink fan (non standard) to make sure it keeps nice and cool. I wouldn't recommend it if you didn't need to (I have no choice, it's an IBM Aptiva with OEM motherboard) but if you have no other choice, well it works for me

This is totally fine.

As long as one makes sure the 5V ---> 3.3V VRM isn't overheating because of the increased power draw and that the CPU is decently cooled like yours.

I have never managed to kill a Pentium MMX CPU.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 17 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
c0keb0ttle wrote:

Unfortunately, finding the manual seems to be more difficult... But at least I know the board is supposed to support my CPU.

th99 might give you some clues.
At least you'll have a start with the jumpers.

Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 32, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately it seems like this board is deader than a dodo. 🙁

I've now tried it with a bog standard Pentium 133 MHz CPU and it still refuses to show any signs of life. No POST, not a single beep, no nothing.

How annoying. 🙁

Reply 19 of 32, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some experiences of mine that match a totally dead board:
- BIOS chip not fully inserted / poor contact.
- Voltage Step down chips overheated in the past, solder got loose, therefore the Voltage Regulator Module gives no 'Power-Good' signal to the BIOS.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul