VOGONS

First post, by infoRM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a 486 DX2-66, a Diamond S3 Trio64 2mb, a SB16 CT2290 and a Creative 2x CDRom. I currently have 16mb of RAM. I want to expand the memory. I would like to know how much would be ideal, 32mb or 64mb.
Thanks, guys!

Reply 2 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

8 is fine for DOS, 16 if you're running Windows 95 - why expand? If it's just for fun - a perfectly valid excuse! - then jam as much in as possible I'd say.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

8 is fine for DOS, 16 if you're running Windows 95 - why expand? If it's just for fun - a perfectly valid excuse! - then jam as much in as possible I'd say.

^This.

My DX2-66 is DOS-only and it runs everything I throw at it with 8MB.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 10, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Badmojo is certainly right. Maybe you'll find the very odd DOS program that needs more than 8 megs. But that would be rare, and would probably need more than a 486 anyway.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 7 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those 486 boards can sometimes be very picky about what combinations of SIMMs they will accept. You might have to take into consideration what is available to you.

Reply 8 of 10, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My 486 box has 8 MB and runs every DOS game I've tried with it. I did try putting Windows 95 on but it was painfully slow so I took it off again. I may upgrade to 16 MB but I'm not in any hurry.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 9 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

8mb is enough if this is a dos build, 32mb is just for dick waving and if you end up in the position to need that much you need a socket 5/7 pentium build.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.