VOGONS

First post, by MII-333

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, I have a Presario 2286 with a Cyrix MII-333 (big shock given my username). It's not a terrible chip, but it does seem to hold me back in some instances (particularly SimCity 3000). I was curious as to what my upgrade path is for it. If I remember right it'll support up to a K6-III 333MHz, but I can't remember for sure (I can't even really remember where I saw that). If anyone can give me some insight into this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Compaq Presario 2286: Cyrix MII 250MHz, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, SiS Integrated graphics, SoundBlasterPCI 128 (for cleaner output signal), 4GB Seagate (OS), 40GB Maxtor DiamondMax+ 9 (games and MIDIs)

Reply 1 of 2, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which exact board do you have?
And pics will help 😀

There's an informative website here, perhaps it will be of interest to you (it is to me 😀).

Chances are your board will support faster CPUs witha bit of fiddling around, but first you'll need to figure out which board you intend to be upgrading.

edit: And welcome aboard! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 2, by MII-333

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Which exact board do you have? And pics will help :) […]
Show full quote

Which exact board do you have?
And pics will help 😀

There's an informative website here, perhaps it will be of interest to you (it is to me 😀).

Chances are your board will support faster CPUs witha bit of fiddling around, but first you'll need to figure out which board you intend to be upgrading.

edit: And welcome aboard! 😁

While I can't really find anything super concrete as to what model board it is, I did find the PCB P/N which is 010190-001.

Not sure if this helps (I'm not sure if there were tower models of the 2286), but this is a "desktop" style PC

Compaq Presario 2286: Cyrix MII 250MHz, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, SiS Integrated graphics, SoundBlasterPCI 128 (for cleaner output signal), 4GB Seagate (OS), 40GB Maxtor DiamondMax+ 9 (games and MIDIs)