VOGONS

HP Vectra 486 33VL question(s)

Topic actions

First post, by thisadi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I'm new here and i'm somewhat noob in old/new hardware. I'm trying to restore an old Vectra 486 33vl and i have some questions. Can someone tell me what these slots on the MB in the pictures are for? And also, can i swap the processor with a faster one? And finally, is it possible to install a CD-Rom drive on this machine?

Attachments

• P_20170303_211108.jpg
    Filename
    P_20170303_211108.jpg
    File size
    2.19 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • P_20170303_212418.jpg
    Filename
    P_20170303_212418.jpg
    File size
    1.85 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • P_20170303_212640.jpg
    Filename
    P_20170303_212640.jpg
    File size
    2 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 23, by compgeke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Straight row ones are for CPU cache. The zig zaggy ones are for video ram.

CD-ROM is a yes as long as the IDE controller supports two drives, which it should.

CPU: Probably. That's a DX-33 there so a DX2-66 should be a direct swap.

Reply 2 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey I've got the exact same PC !

As compgeke said, the straight rows ones are sockets for l2 cache. You can put up to 128KB of cache in there. The ram goes up to 32MB

The video ram type you can put in there is called "ZIP" Ram. This gives you 1MB of vram instead of 512KB when installed. You can put a CD drive but unfortunately mine didn't come with anything to mount it in the 5"1/4 slot.

Be careful with hdds as this computer has the 504MB limitation (if it does not have it, can you dump the BIOS for me ? ^^). With a software this is fine though (I used a 10GB hdd in this at some point)

The CPU can be upgraded with a DX2-66, the PC detects it fine. You might even be able to use a DX4 overdrive, though I never tried this.

Have fun, this is a good PC. The GPU is wired internally as a VLB one. This a good thing as I heared that some OEM pcs from that era sometimes were wired one the ISA bus instead

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 23, by thisadi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again. After a few upgrades with the sistem, i have a little problem. I cannot make the cd-rom drive working. The MB has only one IDE controller that connect to the HDD. Is it possible that a CDrom cannot work with this motherboard? And also, is there a way to update the Bios?

Reply 6 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wat do you mean with the CD drive not working ?

Does it make the pc unable to boot on the hdd ? Is the CD drive not bootable (this is normal) ?

Like I said, I used a CD drive on that pc for quite a while and I did not have any problems. This was a 32x mitsumi CD drive.

For the BIOS, you can probably upgrade it ... If only they were available on the internet ... I've never found one so I don't know if newer bioses ever existed. Can you use uniflash to dump your bios so I can compare it with mine ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 23, by thisadi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe because the i try to use a newer DVD rom (2007)? I run the boot disk with cd rom driver, but it says the optical drive cannot be found.

I can try later to dump the bios. Where can i get uniflash?

Reply 8 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember having issues installing windows 95 with the 95 boot disk but with the 98 bootdisk it was fine. With an older CD drive this will probably work. Did you put it in slave mode before installing it ?

Uniflash's website isn't up since a decade, but you can still download it from the archived version on the wayback machine. Don't use the latest version, for some reason it doesn't work on that PC. But IIRC, the 1.0 version was just fine

Reply 9 of 23, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never used a machine like that, but I've had issues with CD drives on 486 machines before. I'd try tinkering with master/slave jumpers on the CD-ROM and HDD drive. In some cases HDD drive must be set to master while CD-ROM should be set to "cable select" (not slave). And no, to my knowledge, the CD drive can't be too modern as long as it's IDE.

Also, in theory you can try connecting CD-ROM to a sound card (make sure it has IDE and not a proprietary connector) or a multi I/O card.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 10 of 23, by thisadi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, i tryed using uniflash 1.5 and it says it cant run because i dont have a 486. I found version 1.0 but it was in french only. I will try the french version and version 1.6 tonight.

Anyway, i tried all kinds of settings with jumpers and it still didnt see my cdrom. So i bought a ide controller. It didnt come with any jumpers on it and i couldnt find any info about it.

Can anyone tell me the jumper settings on this controller for using a cdrom?

Attachments

• P_20170317_192716.jpg
    Filename
    P_20170317_192716.jpg
    File size
    2.19 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

uniflash.gif

On uniflash 1.0, the first tabl says "save the bios on the disk" (which is what you want to do), the second one says "flash the bios" and this is basically all you need to know I guess ^^. It will probably ask you which name do you want to use for the rom file and that should be it.

This is really odd that you didn't manage to make the CD (or should I say DVD) drive to work 😒 Maybe the HDD is making the CD drive unable to be detected ? have you tried to unplug the HDD and use the win 95 or 98 boot disk and look if it didn't detect the drive ?

Reply 12 of 23, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
thisadi wrote:

So, i tryed using uniflash 1.5 and it says it cant run because i dont have a 486. I found version 1.0 but it was in french only. I will try the french version and version 1.6 tonight.

Anyway, i tried all kinds of settings with jumpers and it still didnt see my cdrom. So i bought a ide controller. It didnt come with any jumpers on it and i couldnt find any info about it.

Can anyone tell me the jumper settings on this controller for using a cdrom?

For that, you'll want to set JP3 to "3-4", for secondary. You've only got one IDE onboard, that would be primary. Tertiary and quaternary are for third and fourth channels respectively, which is witchety on old hardware (it's weird to see an ISA controller that can do it, even - I've only ever used PCI ones!)

Once it's on secondary, set your CD drive to master and plug it in there, boot from a DOS boot floppy with a CD driver, and see if it works. In my experience, some just don't. I have two 486 rigs I'm trying to get fully working right now, but only one PATA CD drive, so I'm also using a SATA one with an adapter. On one board, that works just fine, but on the other it doesn't show up, no matter how hard I try.

Older - but not TOO old - drives are likely to work. You ideally want something from after IDE had stabilized, but before SATA came out, so something from 1998-2002 or so, in a perfect world. Too old, and you get some bizarre not-quite-standard-IDE stuff, plus some of those units with a 40-pin proprietary interface.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 13 of 23, by thisadi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, for some reason when i ran uniflash 1.0, i got the same message as with 1.5 version (pic attached). I swapped the proc dx2 66 with the original dx 33, and uniflash worked. I ran version 1.6. Here is the bios file

Attachments

• vect.jpg
    Filename
    vect.jpg
    File size
    1.58 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    VECTRA33.zip
    File size
    62.24 KiB
    Downloads
    83 downloads
    File license

Reply 14 of 23, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you have EMM386 loaded? That seems to the be the kind of message you'd get in that case, if I'm translating right.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 17 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jade_angel wrote:

Did you have EMM386 loaded? That seems to the be the kind of message you'd get in that case, if I'm translating right.

You're right, it says it can't work if the cpu is in virtual mode

I'll check your BIOS later

Reply 18 of 23, by thisadi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, i managed to get the DVDrom working. I swaped the original 120 mb HDD with a CF to IDE adapter, with a 8 gb cf card, and problem solved. Of course, the system only sees 520 mb. I tryed to fix that with EZ-drive and Ontrack DM, but the programs didnt work for me. Ez drive made 4 partitions, but they were only 520 mb each, and Ontrack didnt work from the beginning, because the "dynamic drive overlay loader" couldnt be found. If you know a fix for this please let me know.

Also, can i get some help installing the sound card. I have a Yamaha Ymf718-s card, but the dos driver that i found dont have an auto installer file.

Reply 19 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The YMF71x cards should work out of the box under MS-DOS to my knowledge. You don't need any drivers normally. Just use the "SET BLASTER" variable and then in games select the sound card as a sound blaster pro.

Maybe the YMF718 behaves differently than the YMF719 (the ones I own) but yeah, if they behave the exact same way this is the way to do it.

Strange, ontrack and EZ-drive both worked for me ... Though maybe for ontrack I had more ram. Maybe by adding more memory the installer would work ?