VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While trying to fit a PS/2 keyboard into a PS/2-AT adapter, I tried too hard and broke the plastic pin.. Incidentally, after getting rid of the pin the adapter works like a charm, so I assume the pin was already bent to start with.. My question is, is this pin necessary? Should I bother replacing the PS/2 connector?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you mean the plastic pin in the middle, forget it. It's only there as "guide" so you can connect the plug the right way.
From now on you'll just have to be extra careful and align everything beforehand because with the plastic pin missing it's super easy to bent the actual pins will little force if everything is not in place.

Reply 2 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote:

If you mean the plastic pin in the middle, forget it. It's only there as "guide" so you can connect the plug the right way.
From now on you'll just have to be extra careful and align everything beforehand because with the plastic pin missing it's super easy to bent the actual pins will little force if everything is not in place.

I have it plugged to an AT adapter and I doubt it will ever get removed so I won't try to change the connector thanks.

Reply 3 of 6, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any tips for removing the plastic pin from the PS/2 port, by chance? I seem to have broken the tip of it off into one of my systems when I was hastily setting up a retro LAN party for my friends awhile ago >< Unfortunately the pin doesn't stick out at all so I have no idea how to remove it from the port. As it stands, I can't plug any other PS/2 keyboards into that system now since the broken-off pin is in the way.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 6 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well mine got bent teying to plug it in and I was wise enough to renove it before it ultimately broke inside the port but a favorite method is to heat up a metal pin with a lighter and stab the stuck pin with it wait a couple minutes and remove it.