VOGONS

First post, by SilverGreen93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have a problem with my Windows 98SE computer build.
Using the 5ALi61 motherboard, AMD K6-II 400MHz, 256MB RAM, ATi Rage128 PRO, 1 HDD (SD Card) and 1 DVD-ROM on Secondary IDE.
I see in My Computer the DVD-ROM listed 8 times. Also in Device Manager is also listed 8 times. What's the matter?
Has anyone encountered the same issue? It seems it works fine for the HDD, but only the DVD/CD-ROM is listed 8 times. I installed the official ALi drivers for Win9x
If I use the DVD-ROM, all 8 show the same content.

Here are some screenshots:
IMG_20170312_153729.jpg IMG_20170312_153700.jpg
(Please ignore drive L:, it is Daemon Tools)

Also, if I enable DMA for primary hdd, the PC hangs quite often when reading from disk (eg, starting a game). Without DMA it never freezes, but uses 100% CPU at disk access. Maybe the drivers are bad? I cannot find other drivers.

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 4, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And if that doesn't help, check for
a loose IDE connection
a bad IDE cable -- try a different cable
a bad IDE controller -- attach as a slave to the primary IDE cable and make sure the jumpers are correct for the drives

Multiple listings for a single device in Device Manager might be caused by an intermittent connection.

Reply 3 of 4, by SilverGreen93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's weird because the same system, with Windows 2000/XP works fine. DMA works and only 1 DVD-ROM is listed. :-?
Also, i tried generic drivers from WIN98 and they do work properly, but I don't have any DMA option with generic ones.

Reply 4 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why not just manually update the generic drivers to the vendor supplied ones. The inf file is installed, right?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder