VOGONS

First post, by daibido1123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, as the title says, I have a simple question, that I am finding little info on. I have come into possession of a P3 Dual CPU Board, Specifically the Alton Dual P3 Socket 370 Motherboard and 4GB of RAM sticks. The issue is that one of the OS's I want to install is Win 98, I know the other OS, Win NT 4.0 will do fine, but Win 98 does not like to run with that much RAM and two CPU's. So how can I pull this off, and trick Win 98 or the hardware to give only one CPU and minimal RAM to Win 98 when Booted?

Thanks all.

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous
Confucius

Reply 1 of 4, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98 will do fine with two CPUs, but it will only see and use one of them. I suppose you got 4x 1GB sticks in this PC, so before you install Win98 take all out and put in something between 32 or 512MB temporarly. To use more than 512MB you have to make some tweaks in Windows before you swap in more memory. A good read here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/118097-day-to … than-1-gib-ram/

Reply 2 of 4, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There will be no problem with the dual CPUs, the problem is RAM , Ive found that 98SE will have issues with more than 1GB even with tweaks.

WinME pushes that limit up a bit , but it has its issues.

Reply 3 of 4, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Win98 may have issues with 512MB or more of RAM - to get around that, install it with less than 512MB, apply "unofficial SP3" (and the 98/ME upgrade thing as well if you like) and then you should be good up to either 1GB or 2GB.

4GB could well never be okay though some people claim there are ini modifications you can do in some Windows files to cause it to ignore your RAM above a certain amount and some people claim that let them use it with more RAM than 2GB. I don't feel very confident in recommending that but it's something you'll need to look into if you want to use that much RAM.

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 4 of 4, by daibido1123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, than I'll grab some of my older chips, and just load it with 2GB of RAM, or 1.5GB. Thanks all.

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous
Confucius