VOGONS

The PSU Matchup Thread

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
CkRtech wrote:

What caps does it have in it? Not TEAPO, right?

Would have to check to make sure, only took a peak and cleaned the PSU before I needed it as this is now my only heavy 5V PSU not in build in a active system. It only has a few caps so cheap recap 🤣 if I recap it. It was filled with brown caps so it is likely.
All caps from that era are bad so I recap stuff I want to use for prolonged periods on forehand.

I read some good things on Enermax their PSU in general so I might start using it.

Reply 21 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Richo wrote:
Would have to check to make sure, only took a peak and cleaned the PSU before I needed it as this is now my only heavy 5V PSU no […]
Show full quote
CkRtech wrote:

Would have to check to make sure, only took a peak and cleaned the PSU before I needed it as this is now my only heavy 5V PSU not in build in a active system. It only has a few caps so cheap recap 🤣 if I recap it. It was filled with brown caps so it is likely.
All caps from that era are bad so I recap stuff I want to use for prolonged periods on forehand.

I read some good things on Enermax their PSU in general so I might start using it.

Brown caps? Better hope it's not Su'scon!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 25, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Ah yes teapo are green ones. Nah most are either black or brown. My current hiper had teapo and other Chinese crap caps. The antec on my PIII had a mixture of dunno what was like rainbow. Have to admit though that the Enermax has the fewest caps if all my PSU. Since I am no expert at all in PSU I can't say anything about the quality other then that the hiper looked cheapest (but a ****load of caps 36! Was expensive to recap 😵 )

Reply 23 of 25, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kenrouholo wrote:

Enermax EG375P-VE: Would still power most basic machines today (no high power GPUs or server machines, of course).

I used an enermax eg365p-ve to run an intel haswell system 24/7 no probs, including with frequent overnight cpu and gpu rendering. Only issue was no sata plugs.

Reply 24 of 25, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have never had any problems with failing capacitors in ATX power supplies in my own pc's. Only with some 80's IBM pc's (and other systems of that age) I've had problems (non ATX though). The thing to look for in ATX power supplies is weight. The higher it is, usually the better the components are (also applies to for example flatscreens and audio equipment). I have recently inspected my Magnatek power supply in the IBM Aptiva (which is a 20 years old consumer pc) and it stil works and looks great. Same applies to the Astec power supply in my even older AST pc. Those have decent premium brand capacitors. If you really want a power supply that never gives problems, then take a Seasonic. They are expensive, but for good reasons.

Reply 25 of 25, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
Richo wrote:
Would have to check to make sure, only took a peak and cleaned the PSU before I needed it as this is now my only heavy 5V PSU no […]
Show full quote
CkRtech wrote:

Brown caps? Better hope it's not Su'scon!

Nichicon also made brown caps... not necessarily a bad sign. Now if they have brown residue on top, that is a bad sign!