VOGONS

First post, by zehef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, 😀
I can have a 3DFX Hammerhead in box but I do not really know if it is any good.
This is this controller : http://itc.ua/img/itcua/2009/12/040307.jpg
It uses MIDI port. I'm collecting my last parts for my retro 3DFX pc, maybe it can be cool.
How much does it costs ?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zehef wrote:

It uses MIDI port.

Usually that is referred to as the "gameport" or "joystick port". Most pre-USB gamepads use that, if you're not familiar with it; it is found on most ISA and PCI Sound Blaster cards. Generally they are not usable on Windows Vista or later without a gameport-to-USB adapter (and sometimes not even then).

It's probably just as good as any other gameport pad.

How much does it costs ?

It costs whatever someone is willing to sell it for.

Reply 2 of 9, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if you look closer you'll see it's an Interact controller that also has 3dfx branding. If it's like Interact's other products it's not particularly a high quality product but eh it should work fine. And I am not saying it's absolute bottom-of-the-barrel crap; they typically simply made "affordable" products. They were one of the brands doing third party controllers for consoles like the N64, too.

No idea what it's worth, but yeah it's worth whatever someone would be willing to buy it for. This question can be difficult to answer for a lot of old gear with more detail.

Edited a couple times to sound, well, less negative (don't actually mean to sound negative here, just realistic).

Last edited by kenrouholo on 2017-03-16, 19:50. Edited 2 times in total.

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 4 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To me it's not "just cool cause it's from 3dfx" because it's actually the first game port controller that I see with actual joysticks without being the huge thing that you use for flight simulators. For me this is really appealing because the best controller I own for these connectors are the microsoft sidewinder gamepad which is nice ... but doesn't have any sort of analog controls

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are giddy for any 3dfx-branded whoopdedoo then by all means go for it, but as for a practical gaming use I wouldn't recommend it.

Poor driver support restricts its use to Win98/ME (and no NT variation ever. 2000 and XP need not apply)

You also cannot rebind the two center buttons for any other function than rumble and profile editor launching, making the traditional select/start functionality (console emulation, for example) rather awkqard leaving you to use the back triggers instead.

10 possible buttons.

The rumble relies on 2 AA's.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 9, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just bought one (for cheap) it's beyond discrete, it's one of the good ones.

1st: it's tough, the materials are pretty good and the overall build feels well designed, it reminds me a lot of the duke controller for xbox but slicker
2nd: The compatibility is ridiculous, i started playing shadow man and when i entered the menu for the controls the game had already mapped everything correctly, it was like playing the DC version that i also own and tested a short while ago, turok 2 needed to be configured but it worked perfectly afterwards, same urban chaos etc.
3rd: while it's true that start and select are not present on the front side, there's two extra buttons similar to the layout of the OG xbox controller, this makes mapping ps1\ps2\xbox games rather easy
4th: I discovered that more than 10 years ago they hacked the drivers to work on XP so you get compatibility for that OS too! https://3dfxarchive.com/hammerhead.htm

This has been my best purchase in terms of PC controllers, there's a serious lack of gameport controllers that do 2 analogs at all and this one does it well too.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 8 of 9, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's mine. Back in 2018 or so, I think I paid around $20 shipped for it, if I recall correctly. Great controller IMO. Button feel is pretty crisp, not too mushy. Analog sticks don't drift. The trigger placement is awesome. I mainly use it for playing old arcade style games.

IMG_20180628_203255.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180628_203255.jpg
File size
1.69 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20180628_203410.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180628_203410.jpg
File size
1.88 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 9 of 9, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't get mine to work with X-Wing Collector's Edition nor TIE Fighter Collector's Edition. You have any luck with those? I wonder if they are expecting a cheap single axis hooked up to the gameport and can't deal with this thing?