First post, by jesolo
I recently acquired a complete 286 PC.
- Intel 286 12 MHz
- 1.5 MB RAM
- Hedaka HED-986 motherboard (http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/E-H/30430.htm) - the previous owner had the old barrel battery removed and replaced it with an external battery (so, no acid damage).
- 1.2 MB floppy & 1.44 MB floppy disk drivers (the latter is definitely a late addition)
- 20 MB Conner hard drive (CP3024)
- MDA graphics card
- 16-bit IDE controller
- 180W PSU (this one still has a switch on the side of the case).
- 12" B&W Monochrome monitor
Here's a picture of the PC:
When I fired up the PC the first time, I could hear some "crackling" sounds coming from the PSU.
I also had problems getting the hard drive to unpark itself (after a while it would unpark and then work without any problems).
At first, I thought the hard drive was going, but when I installed it in another PC, it booted up without any problems (no delays).
This now leads me to believe that the PSU might be going.
Before I poke around inside the PSU, what could possibly be the problem? A bad capacitor perhaps or something a bit more technical?