VOGONS

Attic find - 286-16, that's right

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 68, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Happy to see you found your way here, but ...

Ugh. Read it, learn it, love it: Making clickable embedded images using Imgur image hosting service

Post fixed. 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 21 of 68, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Happy to see you found your way here, but ...

Ugh. Read it, learn it, love it: Making clickable embedded images using Imgur image hosting service

Post fixed. 😉

Thank you ~Stiletto~, Just what I'm looking for. Hope you own one 286 yourself 😉

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 22 of 68, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Godlike

Oh man that HDD is amazing 😁 so many good memories. I had one on my first 486 back in the day. I still have it, and it works like a charm. Also have one on my PS/2.

They make a very nice little noise 😁

Have fun with that awesome little 286!

Edit: Removed unnecessary quote

Last edited by orinoko on 2017-03-23, 07:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 68, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@orinoko

SRSLY, can we NOT quote a post with lots of images plz? I know i might be sounding like an ass, but seriously @Godlike works great when your talking to justone person.

edit
🤣 i forgot the @orinoko part. 😜

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 27 of 68, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE!
Yes, I'm one person, no other creatures involved into this project (goblins, dwarfs, gnomes etc).
I bought another Seagate St157A in unknown condition but it have 5'25 mounting extension.

rH11Fxfl.jpg
gewYbCbl.jpg

Funny thing: I been doing hairs yesterday to my girlfriend and realised that we are going to use cream oxidizer. Before that day I been reading about re whitening old yellow plastic (sun activity for long time) from retro PC's, consoles and so on. I read “Retr0bright” Project from Amibay too. I don't have much time to make special formula or wait for sun to use it again with cream for reversal process. I did simply test yesterday evening. I took piece of old unused yellow from sun, beige piece of damaged plastic from rear panel of desktop dell office pc. I have nothing to loose I said myself. I don't have much time to control re whitening process every 30 minuts in order to not damage it. What about if I leave that plastic for the whole night? Cream oxidizer seems to be caustic/corrosive. I left plastic with cream on it in darky room for the whole night. Today I discover that cream oxidizer make that plastic new again 😀 seriously 😀 I didn't discover any damage done to plastic by cream oxidizer - like excessive cream usage by many hours. IT SIMPLY LOOKS LIKE NEW. No other chemicals used, no special equipment been used, no need to control that process with sun rays. NOTE THAT: I used 9% cream oxidizer, there might various pecentage occur, like 2%, 6%, 9%, 12%. I do NOT recommend 12% cream oxidizer as is highly active and causes gases.
Maybe you are reading because you have Atari ST, high-end Amiga or other hard to find stuff and expensive. Of course you don't want do damage plastics, but they are still Not-So-Mellow Yellow. REMEMBER: This experiment is 100% safe, If you don't have experience and dont believe me on word, just try with unwanted piece of old yellow plastic. This is easy and cheap FIX, that's why I like to post about it. I would like to share great ideas.
Look at the result: right bottom corner of the panel I work with. You can see diference with rest of it.

snqUU3Nl.jpg

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 30 of 68, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seagate ST-157A
The best of the IDE stepper generation, very reliable, and almost as fast as the Maxtor/Miniscribe one. These are instantly recognisable by their distinctive half-circle shape.
Seagate were very late entrants into the 3.5 inch drive market, having been distracted by their quality problems with the ST-251R, rapidly falling market share when the clone makers began to take over from IBM, and their acquisition of mainframe drive maker Imprimis, but when Seagate finally released 3.5 inch drives they were good ones. Most ST-157s were still going just fine when they were finally retired in favour of something much bigger and newer.

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 32 of 68, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's right 😀

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 33 of 68, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the same drive in my 386SX!! It makes pleasant sounds that remind me of my youth, albeit it is abysmally slow - My other (non-era correct) NEC 340MB in the same system blows it out of the water.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 34 of 68, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is a good drive. I have a similar model the 157-A. It isn't ide, but for ps/2 machines. I like everything about this 286 tbh.

Reply 35 of 68, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another update to the system :
Quick Joy SV 209, intend of this ISA card is to play PONG or DOS equivalent game for both (first game I played in my life)

lJLD8jul.jpg
giuAQR4.gif

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 36 of 68, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

It is a good drive. I have a similar model the 157-A. It isn't ide, but for ps/2 machines. I like everything about this 286 tbh.

Oddly enough, I have a IBM PS/2 Model 40SX which has the ST-157A in it (386SX system with IDE). IBM really did enjoy messing around with varying interface options, didn't they??

Reply 37 of 68, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wanna say that just in the PS/2 line they offered ST-506, ESDI, IDE and SCSI, with a mix of ISA, EISA and MCA expansion. Can't recall if they ever offered one with VLB or PCI, though.

My second computer ever was a PS/2 - almost has me wanting to find another one, now...

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 38 of 68, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jade_angel wrote:

My second computer ever was a PS/2 - almost has me wanting to find another one, now...

PROTIP: DON'T

The level of commitment to get a ps/2 system going is quite high compared to average white-box stuff.

Reply 39 of 68, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
jade_angel wrote:

PROTIP: DON'T

The level of commitment to get a ps/2 system going is quite high compared to average white-box stuff.

Yeah - good luck finding an MCA Sound Blaster.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.