VOGONS

Dual 5080 xeons, crazy insane or brilliant?

Topic actions

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

So I pulled the trigger and bought a Asus dsgc-dw for a good price.
Now I'm debating on what cpus to run. After giving it some thought I chose to use two 5080 Xeons.
www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon% ... 080P).html

That's the fastest and hottest netburst cpu out there. I believe they pull 180w apiece.

Am I crazy or something? What's your thoughts?
that all aside, once I get the parts anyone want to see it benched?

Reply 1 of 68, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think hottest Xeons are Paxville-DP's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_X … .22_.2890_nm.29

Dual-Core Paxville-DP 2.8GHz rated TDP is 135W
Xeon 5080 3.73GHz rated TDP is 130W.

Reply 2 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Tdp is thermal design power for the cooling.
The max output of the CPU is sometimes higher. The 5080 can push 175w where the Paxville can only push about 155w.

Ether way they're both really hot CPUs.

Reply 3 of 68, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can get the board that can handle them without having the vrms fail then go for it! Not very many here well anywhere really do builds like that and it would be something to show off to noobs especially the generation z that probably haven't ever owned anything netburst.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I have a mosfet heat sink for the board. Originaly they where optional. But I don't have the ram cooler. It's just a bracket that holds a fan. I can make something. It uses fully buffered ram and comes with 32gb of it.
I'll probably put 2 core2 Xeons in if it gets to hot in the summer.

Fully buffer ram, dual core netburst xeons, Raptor hdds. I Need to toss in a 480 to the mix. 😲 But no I'll be useing a 260 216 core.

Reply 5 of 68, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Tdp is thermal design power for the cooling.
The max output of the CPU is sometimes higher. The 5080 can push 175w where the Paxville can only push about 155w.

Ether way they're both really hot CPUs.

Cedar Mill Pentium 4's ran (relatively) cool. They were what Prescott should've been. Still inferior to A64-X2's, but Pressler closed the gap quite a bit and were favorable from a price/performance at the time.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-e … 65,1231-21.html

The P4EE-965 is basically a Xeon 5080, both DC Pressler @ same 3.73 GHz. The P-D 820 is basically a Paxville-D @ same 2.80 GHz. At 100% CPU load, with same test system, the P4EE-965 consumes about 50W less than the P-D 820.

Reply 7 of 68, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With good enough GPU, you should be able to play Doom (2016) or Watch Dogs 2 😀
Multi processor communication will be a problem in some games (since you will use something Ryzen-like, but a LOT worse in this case).

I think I will buy something like this in the future and see how good it is 😀
Either way, great project, but try not fry PSU under full load when using it with GTX 480 😁

PS. Pentium XE 840 may need more power at stock, but in modern programs it's not fast enough (single thread).
65nm can take A LOT of power after OC.
I recommend active VRM cooling (if you plan/can OC that bad boys).
Also... aren't FB-DIMMS required to be cooled actively ?

157143230295.png

Reply 8 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

oh lord, FB dimms. Wouldn't it be cheaper and more efficient, to just buy a space heater?

But a space heater only makes heat 🤣 I can play games and heat the house at the same time. Oh and it has 8 sticks of FB ram.
I hope this system doesn't burn my house down.

Reply 9 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Sellers photo of the board. looks like I'll have to change a few caps. Nothing major for me. I'll just have to take my time.
I has a set of 2.5ghz core2 quads. I may end up using them in the summer time. I'll defiantly have to install the mosfet heatsinks on the board if I end up using 5080's, good thing I already have them.

Reply 10 of 68, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's one nice looking motherboard.

I'd personally hold off on mosfet heatsinks unless they actually get hot. I see a pretty robust array of gate drivers being used with those mosfets, being well driven like that I bet they will barely get warm...no matter what the load.

Reply 11 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I already have the heat sinks for the mosfets. No point in not installing it. But it only covers the center 12 mosfets. I have another 11 stick on heatsinks setting on my desk waiting for a porpoise.
But yeah I don't think they will run all that hot.

Reply 12 of 68, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

I already see whats going to happen in the upcoming half year when you start running this 😈 .
first off you get a call during summer from your local energy company informing you of your exponential increase of your electricty bill. During winter you will get a visit from the police to inspect your house for a illegal weed plantation in the room you are keeping your computer (thermal images confirm this room is HOT!) 🤣 🤣
jokes aside, this is going to run hot.... did you consider water cooling from a socket 775, that would save alot of cooling problems this project will be likely to have without a big tower to fit the required fans. Beside the cooling the additional space for the mosfets and possible ram cooling could come in handy.
I always thought those damn Athlon XP ran hot, until I heard the stories of those things.....

Reply 13 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Yeah it will be a hot sucker. I have a really nice super micro heatsink with 5 heat pipes. 2 120mm fans 2 60mm fans 2 80mm fans and one 92mm fan. Along with the 2 80mm fans on the cpus. I think it should be ok. I may need to put a second pair of fans on the CPUs but that would be it. Or I'm hopping in not a fan of water cooling. I'll work on such a system but I'll never own one.

Reply 14 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

So... gtx 480 or gtx 295?
Both would be a nice addition to the system. The 295 being a dual gpu card and the 480 being a supper hot card.

Reply 15 of 68, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

480's aren't THAT hot. If you get one with an aftermarket cooler.

What exactly is your goal with this system? If you just want to make something hot, I know the Fury X or the nvidia 480's burn hot.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 16 of 68, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The R9 290 and R9 290x are going for around $150 ATM, hot running and SUPER overkill.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 17 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

480's aren't THAT hot. If you get one with an aftermarket cooler.

What exactly is your goal with this system? If you just want to make something hot, I know the Fury X or the nvidia 480's burn hot.

They're still going to out put the same amount of heat with an aftermarket heat sink. But yeah they will run a lot cooler with aftermarket heat sinks.
As for a goal, really it's just to have fun more then anything, that and push the netburt microstructure to the max.

That aside I don't think I'll get a 480, probably a 295 if I stick with the 5080s or 750ti if I end up using core2 Xeons.
Right now I can't make up my mind. The 740 and 640 look good too and they have native vga witch would be useful with my crt.

Reply 18 of 68, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GTX 295 does add a bit of class to a system especially the VHS style that I am a fan of, 480s are cheaper and easier to find plus they are still capable of running modern titles with reduced performance.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.