VOGONS

Dual 5080 xeons, crazy insane or brilliant?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
mrau wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

We have a dual 1366 low voltage server at work, it's our domain/file/email server. It's ok, ram could be faster and more plentiful. It only has 12gb. But it dose run very cool.

As for heat, the 295 is a 285w card if I recall right. And my old 604 setup heated up my counter room about 5-10f at an idle. Oh an my crt pulls I think 175w or something like that.

when i read stuff like this i try to imagine how many hamsters on a wheel would be required to power this :>

300w for the CPUs maybe 285w for the gpu, alone this is a lot of power, 8 sticks of FB-Dimms, 6 10k rpm hdds and a server board. It adds up fast. And think how much more it will pull if I OC the system 😵

Something tells me I'll love the system until my first sweaty gaming session, then hate it when I get the power bill. 🤣
But there is always core2 xeons. I know with my 604 setup when gaming the room it's in can go from 70f to 85f. This will be maybe twice that? Something tells me I may go core2 down the road.

Edit:
Should get the board this weekend.

Reply 42 of 68, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Hah! What no one seems to have taken into account is the fatality rate of the hamsters. This is nigh-on impossible to ascertain but I would imagine that keeping 61,580 hamsters running, while replacing dead ones, would be akin to spinning a lot of plates.

I liked the comment that "you would probably get a greater net output of power by burning the hamsters" - use the hamsters as a heatsink and use the heat to power the PC.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 43 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I got the board today, not quite what I expected, cheap build quality for a asus server board. But still not bad and a feather nice board..

However the big kicker is that the heat sinks I have get into the way of my HDD bay. 😵 lucky my case has hot swap drive bay support. So I'll use a few 5.25 to 3.5 drive bay caddys.

Reply 44 of 68, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As someone who always uses 2-cpu boards, it's a thing I've gotten used to. I don't buy cases unless they can hold a 2cpu board and have room to spare.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 45 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

It's a real server case. But the heat sinks are 4U. The problem are the fans actually. If I put slimmer fans on the drive bay it would be fine. But I chose to just remove the hdd bay for the hot swap drive bay. The hot swap bay is shorter.

I'll post photos in the A.M.

Reply 47 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I'm a little low on computer funds, but I'll have every thing but the hdd a soom. I need to hold off on buying the hdd a anyway. I'm not sure if rator hdd will fit or not. I may have to use laptop hdd a or ssd's.

Anyway here is a mock up of the system.

Reply 48 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I should get the last parts this latter this week.

I ended up going with 4 raptor hdds and 2 ssds. I'll be replacing the thermal compound of the ram tonight. After that I'll setup the raid 1 array with the 2 ssds. I'll get the 4 raptors later this week.

Right now I have the system running on one ssd and its not bad, oddly the 295 is holding me back more then anything. Id thought the CPU's would be a problem but they amazingly fast in newer stuff. I guess the 4 cores and 8 threads make up for the fact that I'm more or less using 4 Pentium calss CPU's.

Reply 49 of 68, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm so very glad I never got any FB dimm stuff. The heat generated is so not worth it. My garage computer is a dual 771, but uses standard ddr2 ecc/reg. and I'm currently working on upgrading my file server to a dual 1366 from 604. The prices for 771 stuff compared to 1366 are so not worth it.

Also, how is your southbridge heatsink doing? mine gets hot as shit on any system and I have a fan on it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 50 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Not bad, the case has a 120mm fan a few inches away from the south bridge. The north bridge gets really hot even with the 40mm fan, but I suspect that's because of the close proximity of the ram and CPUs. And yes the ram does run hot. I thought about modifying some older ddr2 ram sinks off a corsair dominator or something. But honestly I'd probably be better if useing 4 sticks instead of 8. With 4 stocks and a fan the ram hardly ever goes over 50c. With 8 sticks it gets up to 70c. Yeah that's hot. But with new MX-4 compound it should be fine.
Once I close up the case it should run a lot cooler to. I found with the side panel off my 604 setup ran a lot hotter.

Funny thing is the bios has thermal management settings for the ram. There's 4 settings, disabled, fan, closed loop and open loop cooling.

The open/closed loop make me think of water cooling.

Reply 51 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Replacing the thermal compound helped a lot on lowering the ram temps. Running 4 sticks of ram is now running in the mid to low 40s.

Edit:
With the system at full load with 8 sticks of ram it hits 60c, with the side panel off.
I think I'll make a custom ram fan mount for the system that can hold 2 80mm fans.

Reply 52 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

The system is very close to done.

But Holly hell, I mean good, good. One can burn themselves on the systems exhaust.cant even touch the CPU heatsinks.

I'll probably make a custom mounting bracket for the 2 ram fans. Wile the ram runs well within spec the parts around it are not. Moveing the fans 1/2" above the ram should help.

Oh and the ram fans are held in place with VHB tape.

Edit: all that's left to do is to get 2 more hdds (two were DOA) made a ram fan mounting bracket and clean up the Sara cables a little better.

Reply 53 of 68, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This has to be one of the greatest systems known to mankind. I would love to see this attempt playing DOOM (the new one) and benchmark results. It would be epic to see how the "ultimate" Netbust machine can handle today's latest and greatest games.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 54 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
ODwilly wrote:

This has to be one of the greatest systems known to mankind. I would love to see this attempt playing DOOM (the new one) and benchmark results. It would be epic to see how the "ultimate" Netbust machine can handle today's latest and greatest games.

Well it's running xp nore do I own the new doom. I don't plan to install 7 or anything other then xp on the system. But ill bench every modern game I have on the system if it doesn't burn my house down in the process. 🤣
Oddly enough every modern game I try's is being held back by the 295. I may put a 750ti in the system. But the idea of a 295, we'll it's a 295. I can't think of anything more classy that's also modern.

Reply 57 of 68, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Silencer" is false advertising. 🤣

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 58 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
candle_86 wrote:

A gtx 590 is alot more classy than a 295

I thought about it. but they are not the most stable card. I recall them having VRM problems

Reply 59 of 68, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
clueless1 wrote:

"Silencer" is false advertising. 🤣

not really. I have the psu fan full blast and the cpu fans are louder. in fact its fan the quietest fan in the system.