VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would I see a huge benefit in performance if I installed a 64MB GeForce2 GTS instead of a 32 MB GeForce2 GTS in a Pentium 3 - 933 machine I am planning to build? I am going for a year 2000 theme and dont have the cash nor can I find a GeForce2 Ultra so I took that out of the equation....

Reply 1 of 10, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes , more v-ram = higher resolutions provided the gpu load itself is low enough to not be effected.

A 933mhz pentium 3 can actually handle even more modern cards than a geforce 2 just fine as 933mhz is more than enough cpu power to overcome the classic "drivers cause cpu lag" issue.

Reply 2 of 10, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I doubt it would make a huge difference, it didn't on the MX series. You might notice some speed improvements at very high resolutions with AA, but only if the GPU itself isn't a bottleneck.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 3 of 10, by fcm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mwdmeyer wrote:

I doubt it would make a huge difference, it didn't on the MX series. You might notice some speed improvements at very high resolutions with AA, but only if the GPU itself isn't a bottleneck.

I agree, and on the DX7 games it will perform well but I think the memory size will not be a problem, if you won´t use high resolutions.

Pentium MMX 233@266| M537DMA | 48MB SDR | Trident 9685 4MB TVOut | Soundblaster 16
2x Pentium III 1000EB | CUV4X-D | 1,5GB PC133 | TNT2 Pro GA-660 | 80GB HDD | SB Live! 5.1
XP-M 2200+ | A7V600-X | 1GB DDR400 | Radeon X1650 Pro AGP | WD 80GB SATA

Reply 4 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While I haven't tested it, based on tests with other cards, it will make very little difference, if any at all.

And for high resolutions and / or AA / AF, I see that card as not powerful enough.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There really is no reason to not buy the 64mb card if the price is close or the same as the 32mb cards, probably won't see much of a difference up front but in some games or under certain settings the extra vram will help provided the gpu is not already too slow.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 10, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GeForce 2 GTS 64MB can handle even Painkiller game and NFS Most Wanted at low res and playable state. I had one from Creative, this card is powerful enough for 2000 build comparing to 3dfx Voodoo5 or Radeon DDR.
Just buy GTS cheapest you find, there will be probably no BIG difference between 32 and 64 on Pentium III 933Mhz.

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 7 of 10, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Either, DX7 games where designed to still run on cards with as little as 8/16mb of ram, you only really need 64mb when you get into DX8 territory

Reply 8 of 10, by fcm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Godlike wrote:

GeForce 2 GTS 64MB can handle even Painkiller game and NFS Most Wanted at low res and playable state. I had one from Creative, this card is powerful enough for 2000 build comparing to 3dfx Voodoo5 or Radeon DDR.
Just buy GTS cheapest you find, there will be probably no BIG difference between 32 and 64 on Pentium III 933Mhz.

I believe that games like NFS MW run very good on it, because it´s a DX8 game, so running um a GF2 it haven´t a lot of features, I had a poor MX440 and remember running well the Underground, Underground 2, Most wanted, but the graphics were so poor 🤣

It´s another territory too, a GF3/GF4 or Radeon 8500 on a AthlonXP/P4 makes more sense to these games.

Pentium MMX 233@266| M537DMA | 48MB SDR | Trident 9685 4MB TVOut | Soundblaster 16
2x Pentium III 1000EB | CUV4X-D | 1,5GB PC133 | TNT2 Pro GA-660 | 80GB HDD | SB Live! 5.1
XP-M 2200+ | A7V600-X | 1GB DDR400 | Radeon X1650 Pro AGP | WD 80GB SATA

Reply 9 of 10, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info...

I have a 32MB GTS and was looking at a 64MB GTS online, and didnt want to buy it without asking first..

Looks like I will just keep the 32MB GTS until I eventually find a 64MB Ultra that will make my 2000 box the way I want it. I may even just toss in my ATI 7500 or 8500 in from 2001 and be done with it after reading through this.

Reply 10 of 10, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fcm wrote:
Godlike wrote:

I believe that games like NFS MW run very good on it, because it´s a DX8 game, so running um a GF2 it haven´t a lot of features, I had a poor MX440 and remember running well the Underground, Underground 2, Most wanted, but the graphics were so poor 🤣

It´s another territory too, a GF3/GF4 or Radeon 8500 on a AthlonXP/P4 makes more sense to these games.

Underground this is one damn good game. For the first time real street racing game on PC, I play it yesterday again on PS2 and PC later on, I like PC version better

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300