VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, I have been trying to get a 4x USB card that is USB 1.0 and 2.0 to work on a Lucky Star LS-P55CE motherboard with a 166MHz CPU and 3 PCI slots and 3 ISA slots, and so far it will only work with a mouse for about 15 seconds then the whole pc freezes, the motherboard only has an AT keyboard port and I have not used any COM/serial ports as I dont have a COM/serial mouse to use, I have used some drivers that I use to make USB flash drives work in windows 98se called nusb33e.exe and nusb36e.exe and these two detect my USB card fine but freeze up the system the same way after the 15 seconds. I have a driver from the VIA chipset makers and I think it does the same thing but I will check this again soon. Is this motherboard and CPU combo with windows 98se the culprit or is there something else not being done? When I installed one of the nusbxxe.exe file I removed everything USB related in device manager as this is what the manual for the program said to do.

Reply 1 of 1, by marvias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is quite common problem, that new USB2 cards dont work in pentium motherboards. You need older USB card (any USB 1.1 should work). Problem most likely is that motherboard slots are PCI 2.1 and card is PCI 2.3 requiring 3.3V which is not delivered by slot.