VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there any reason whatsoever to keep old ISA or PCI modems?

I guess I could use one for fax software

Are there any dial-in BBSes anymore?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 21, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Short answer: No.

Long answer:
I have constant issues with trying to use an old modem on new lines. Anything faster than 9600 baud tends to constantly get errors. I have a fax machine, and I had to turn the speed down to 9600 for it to work. A modem is going to have the same issues now that so many people use VOIP based phones.

I'd keep the old, neat looking ones, or ones that are proprietary. Past that, scrap the rest.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 21, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In a pinch, they can be used to transfer files from one computer to another by connecting them directly modem-to-modem with a phone cord and manually telling them to dial and answer using a terminal program. HyperTerminal has built-in file transfer capabilities that works good for this purpose. Yes it's slow, but it's a good "no other options available" method for transfer of files between older computers if you lack any other forms of removable mass storage (Zip drive, CD burner, etc) and floppy disks are too small to feasibly do the job.

Note that not all computers support direct modem-to-modem connections like this. Some modems, especially newer PCI "winmodems", require live voltage on the phone line to properly connect, which of course would be missing in this setup. Older ISA modems are more likely to work just fine without line voltage.

Reply 3 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
torindkflt wrote:

In a pinch, they can be used to transfer files from one computer to another by connecting them directly modem-to-modem with a phone cord and manually telling them to dial and answer using a terminal program. HyperTerminal has built-in file transfer capabilities that works good for this purpose. Yes it's slow, but it's a good "no other options available" method for transfer of files between older computers if you lack any other forms of removable mass storage (Zip drive, CD burner, etc) and floppy disks are too small to feasibly do the job.

Note that not all computers support direct modem-to-modem connections like this. Some modems, especially newer PCI "winmodems", require live voltage on the phone line to properly connect, which of course would be missing in this setup. Older ISA modems are more likely to work just fine without line voltage.

Ugghhh.. I'd rather just have a couple ISA or PCI NICs around for that purpose.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always wanted to be able to record my phone calls or set up my PC as an answering machine, but I never found a hardware and software combination that was up to the task. The best I could find for Windows was something called "Classic PhoneTools"; Linux has something called "vgetty", but I couldn't find a Windows port.

At this point I would probably be better off trying to set up an Asterisk server, considering I'm on VOIP anyway.

luckybob wrote:

I have constant issues with trying to use an old modem on new lines. Anything faster than 9600 baud tends to constantly get errors. I have a fax machine, and I had to turn the speed down to 9600 for it to work. A modem is going to have the same issues now that so many people use VOIP based phones.

When I first got DSL around fifteen years ago (eep), the modem came with line filters for use with analog devices. Maybe you need one of those?

Reply 6 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would keep at least the intelligent modems with their own on-board computer and real serial port.
They can still come in handy for modem games. For example, there's a chess game for Windows/386 which supports that.

DOS games like Megatron also supported that. In Windows, there's Warpath, which can be played via modem (also has IPX support).
Besides, modems can still be useful to set up a BBS software or for file transfer. You can connect two modems, if you dial through an in-house system.

Modern DSL or cable modems (or home routers) may also have one or two telephone connectors..
If they are wired to the outlets in your house, you can connect two vintage systems without having to set up a LAN for that.

These are just some ideas, though.The coolness factor is probably the best.
Who doesn't want to open a terminal program and play with the Hayes commands ? 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 21, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
torindkflt wrote:

I think a serial port to serial port "null modem" connection is preferable in any such situation. I don't want to say all modems are 100% useless, but one really has to have very specialized purposes to ever use one in the future.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 8 of 21, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Modems are 99.9% useless. I cannot fathom a realistic reason as to why this will change. Ethernet, and by extension the internet, has eliminated the need for a modem. Ethernet is better in practically every concieveable scenario. What ethernet cannot do, is covered by cheap and fast flash memory.

Reply 9 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

Modems are 99.9% useless. I cannot fathom a realistic reason as to why this will change.

Well, there's still faxing, right? I'm told that for fast, secure document transfers, faxing may still be preferable over E-mail.

Reply 10 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Modems are 99.9% useless. I cannot fathom a realistic reason as to why this will change.

Well, there's still faxing, right? I'm told that for fast, secure document transfers, faxing may still be preferable over E-mail.

I do have to send a fax every once in a blue moon. But for that I already have a AIO color laser machine that has fax built in.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
firage wrote:
torindkflt wrote:

I think a serial port to serial port "null modem" connection is preferable in any such situation. I don't want to say all modems are 100% useless, but one really has to have very specialized purposes to ever use one in the future.

Maybe I should make sound recordings of all the different baud connection tones. Making something like that into a ring tone could be quite interesting.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 21, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Maybe I should make sound recordings of all the different baud connection tones. Making something like that into a ring tone could be quite interesting.

My reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmePLg3hdCw

Jorpho wrote:

Except it's not. My mother recently did a refinance, and everything was done over email. The only time we ever had physical interaction with the lender was the final signing. Everything up to that was email. I dealt with faxes in one previous job. Everything was saved as an image, stored on a server where anyone could look at it.

Reply 13 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

My reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmePLg3hdCw

HAHAHAHA.

I made a ringtone from the end of a youtube video quite a while ago that gets laughs/stares/comments.

People tell me it sounds like a dying animal or a crying baby. MWAHAHAHAHA.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
torindkflt wrote:

Ugghhh.. I'd rather just have a couple ISA or PCI NICs around for that purpose.

There are systems for which NICs are not available (think portable systems, laptops, game consoles, many exotic systems, etc.). There are also systems that can't use a serial connection without special software, and sometimes that special software can't be used for general purposes.

There's a schematic floating around on the internet that might resolve the live voltage issue.

Reply 15 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Other than nostalgia, not really.. I used a 56K modem in my MMX build for the sake of period correctness, found it to be absolutely useless so I dropped in a PCI NIC instead.. Modems are a great piece of history and I have very fond recollections of BBS'ing on a 14.4K, but I'd really not ever use one in a build..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16 of 21, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I keep oddball ones like 8 bit ISA modems or generic weird or unique ones but toss a lot of them 🤣

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 17 of 21, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

I would keep at least the intelligent modems with their own on-board computer and real serial port.

I would trash the WinModems and keep the intelligent ones. A while ago I managed to buy 3 NOS US Robotics Courier V Everything modems - probably the top consumer modems.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 18 of 21, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's no really good reason to hang onto them, no. Maybe the non-Winmodem ones, especially if you have a PCI non-Winmodem (which were rare).

The only ones I keep anymore are external serial modems.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 19 of 21, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j-Rb9u3EHc

Not my video, but of significant relevance to your comment. This guy put a Raspberry Pi inside an old modem case, but he also set up a slave RPi Zero to act as a remote modem and simulate dialing into various old BBS, which he's got archived. He even recorded tones with different modem brands and speeds. I haven't looked into such a project myself but maybe that inspires you and/or could be a source for some information if you wanted to do something similar.

Yes, I always ramble this much.