VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Question: Has anyone managed to get this film scanner working with VueScan?

I'm currently using it in an XP virtual machine, with the original software. When it does work, I can get some pretty good scans out of it - the operative word there being "when".

Let me say something for the record: the original software SUCKS. It's slow as heck, randomly crashes, and on about every other negative strip I feed through, it hangs on the step when it tries to find the frame edges and crashes.

So I'm trying VueScan (latest version, still on the XP virtual machine since there are only drivers for XP 😵 )

So far I've noticed the following:

1. I still have to load the HP software to "initialize" the scanner, otherwise VueScan complains that there's no scanner connected at all. Sometimes this works, but more often it doesn't - often VueScan will act as if it's working, and make the scanner go through the initialization process, but then crash before it actually opens.
2. VueScan takes just about as long to load as the HP software, when it does detect the scanner.
3. I still have the "hang on every other negative trying to find the frames" problem.

Maybe this is grass is greener syndrome 🤣

BUT VueScan has waaaay more options and control over the scanner. So I'd much rather use it, but it would be nice if it actually worked more than 10% of the time.

I mean, seriously the hanging trying to find frames problem has been increasing, and now I'm getting it something like 70-80% of the time. Maybe it's the way I'm cutting my negatives?

So if anyone has this scanner, what has been your experience with it?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.