VOGONS

First post, by iKarith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

Possibly thanks to Phil's videos on Super Socket 7 (thanks a lot Phil! 😉 ), the prices on Socket 7 have become kind of crazy since they can throttle all the way down to support 386 DOS games, but up to handle pretty much the end of DOS gaming.

Can the Athlon XP-M boards perform a similar feat? I know that they also have software multiplier controls, and the boards they fit into are often relatively cheap unless you start looking for rare models with ISA support--those get expensive fast!

If some of those 386/486-needing games can play on it, they might be pretty useful. I guess XP-M chips were popular with overclockers, but what about underclockers? 😉

Reply 4 of 4, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iKarith wrote:

Thanks for the move--wasn't sure if DOS was more appropriate (since that is the point) or if hardware (because that's what I'm asking about). Hardware wins. 😀

The forum named "DOS" on VOGONS is not generally / generically for oldskool DOS gaming, it is specifically for running DOS games on "new" systems (Windows XP and above). It was created before "just use DOSBox" became a common answer.

So your question would basically be off-topic in "DOS", unless you intended your OS on your Athlon XP-M to be Windows XP or newer.

"Software" under Marvin is also an appropriate forum for this thread though I think the intent for it maybe is to cover a single software title per thread.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto