I found this

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

It's a very old, very ugly and very slow computer that almost nobody wants or likes.

You've come to the right place, it's our thing.

How DARE you come here and say our machines are old and useless.

Don't you think we already know that? We are trying to go into denial so hard that the fabric of reality around us changes. We are still in the 80s and 90s, we haven't changed, we've changed our underwear in the last couple months, we are NOT insane.

I think I have restored the balance of resistance against truth, carry on.

Reply 21 of 30, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ampera wrote:

We are trying to go into denial so hard that the fabric of reality around us changes. We are still in the 80s and 90s, we haven't changed, we've changed our underwear in the last couple months, we are NOT insane.

So.... Milli Vanilli and Terence Tren D'Arby are not on the top ten anymore you say? 😳
I might go check on my mixtape content again, after all. 🤣

EDIT:
Ohhh... Wait a minute. One is dead, one changed his name and the third got caught not being the one singing for real.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 22 of 30, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Ampera wrote:
How DARE you come here and say our machines are old and useless. […]
Show full quote
meljor wrote:

It's a very old, very ugly and very slow computer that almost nobody wants or likes.

You've come to the right place, it's our thing.

How DARE you come here and say our machines are old and useless.

Don't you think we already know that? We are trying to go into denial so hard that the fabric of reality around us changes. We are still in the 80s and 90s, we haven't changed, we've changed our underwear in the last couple months, we are NOT insane.

I think I have restored the balance of resistance against truth, carry on.

Speak for your self. I haven't changed my underwear since the 90s

Reply 23 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
Counterweight for trebuchet. […]
Show full quote
mikecjakec wrote:

I don't think I will turn it in a grill since I already have one, and no hamsters. Any other ideas?

Counterweight for trebuchet.

Ammunition for trebuchet.

Run things that you could probably run much more easily in DOSBox.

He could probably also use it as a terrorist weapon for to derailing a train or something 😜

Btw I wouldn't advice him to switch it on till he checked for battery damage.

I do find it strange to see that drive maybe was mounted upside down, but maybe he did it to create a prettier pic or something?
Or maybe the previous owner didn't know which side of that drive was up 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 24 of 30, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Step one. That blue barrel thingy thing's gotta go no matter what. If you don't want the PC, donate to some fellow Vogoner, I am sure somebody would enjoy it (I sure would). If you want to use it, then it is OK. Both ways with the battery removed it is much more preserved then it is now. Then post close-up pictures of the closest surroundings.

Last edited by krivulak on 2017-03-27, 17:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
krivulak wrote:

Step one. That blue barrel thingy thing's gotta go no matter what.

^^Agreed

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 26 of 30, by mikecjakec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, why do I have to remove the barrel battery? What will happen if I do/don't?
Anyways, I was busy but found time to check this out yesterday. Looks like the computer is missing a hard drive and one of the cables that connects to the hard drive is burned --> my guess is the hard drive went up in flames.
I did find a completely different system though, one that still works (with all parts intact!). It booted up and I connected it to a display and it works fine.

Reply 27 of 30, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mikecjakec wrote:

Hey, why do I have to remove the barrel battery? What will happen if I do/don't?
Anyways, I was busy but found time to check this out yesterday. Looks like the computer is missing a hard drive and one of the cables that connects to the hard drive is burned --> my guess is the hard drive went up in flames.
I did find a completely different system though, one that still works (with all parts intact!). It booted up and I connected it to a display and it works fine.

They have a tendency to leak catastrophically, the battery acid (edit sorry, electrolyte is alkaline, just read up on it elsewhere on Vogons) eats into the board and components rendering it useless. Happens with or without power going to the board.

e.g. this is an Amiga 500 memory module in my collection, totally stuffed ...

IMG_6540.JPG
Filename
IMG_6540.JPG
File size
1.89 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by JidaiGeki on 2017-03-28, 04:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 30, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:
They have a tendency to leak catastrophically, the battery acid eats into the board and components rendering it useless. Happens […]
Show full quote
mikecjakec wrote:

They have a tendency to leak catastrophically, the battery acid eats into the board and components rendering it useless. Happens with or without power going to the board.

e.g. this is an Amiga 500 memory module in my collection, totally stuffed ...

IMG_6540.JPG

I feel bad for those capacitors. The one on the right seems to be thinking "MUST ESCAPE THE DEVASTATION! RUN!!!"

Reply 30 of 30, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The realtime clock will reset on every powerdown, but since the battery doesn't have any charge to keep it up for sure, then it doesn't matter.