VOGONS

First post, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is sorely needed. I got a MAXX some time ago and only recently got it working, because it is SO picky about the chipset you use it with. Here's my experiences:

Azza KT3-AV (VIA KT133A) - Unsuccessful
Shuttle AK35 rev. 2 (VIA KT333) - Unsuccessful
HP OEM Intel board (Intel i845g) - Unsuccessful
ECS K7S5A Pro (SiS 735) - Successful
Asus A7S333 (SiS 745) - Successful

Initially I wrote off using a SiS chipset because a member here posted a video mentioning a Socket A SiS board not working with the card. Others had success with some VIA chipsets so I tried a couple of those, and neither worked. Then Phil got his MAXX working on a SiS Intel board, so I got to thinking. The Asus AS7S333 is a fantastic board for this card (and just a good motherboard in general) and even works fine in AGP 4x mode! Which is particularly difficult. Keep in mind if you use a SiS chipset, please use the latest 1.21 drivers which can be found here (it says AGP but it also contains USB drivers too).

If you have experiences with this card please share what boards/chipsets you found were compatible in this thread! This should be a great help to others wanting to play around with this unique piece of history.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database

Reply 1 of 4, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it the same model SiS chipset which worked for another individual but not for you? I'm wondering if the issue is chipset-, motherboard-, BIOS-, or hardware-specific.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 4, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not 100% sure... but I think RFM is 3.3V AGP only, just like Voodoo5. So this narrows down the compatible chipsets list.

From my personal experience it worked fine using MSI KT3 Ultra2 (VIA KT333 based) http://hwbot.org/submission/1074243_havli_3dm … maxx_3013_marks On the other hand I couldn't get it running properly on Asus P4S333 (SiS 645). Performance was terrible, lot of stuttering... in short not compatible.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 4 of 4, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Is it the same model SiS chipset which worked for another individual but not for you? I'm wondering if the issue is chipset-, motherboard-, BIOS-, or hardware-specific.

In the case of the other user's SiS Socket A board, he wasn't specific on what chipset/brand the board was.

There are certainly a number of other variables besides just the chipset and model of motherboard, as you mentioned, such as BIOS revision, and even the AGP driver. While none of the VIA Hyperion 4-in-1 drivers I tried changed anything, some have reported that using different drivers caused the MAXX to start working.

Which means two identical setups could experience completely different compatibility results. So it really is a bit of a mess.

In general VIA KT133A chipsets are known to be incompatible, while Intel 440BX chipsets are known to work perfectly pretty much across the board. Sometimes it also has to do with AGP speed setting, so you should always check to see if the card will work in 2x mode.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database