VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was gifted this lovely little laptop recently, a Micron Transport Trek 1. It's a nicely specced out machine, P266MMX, NeoMagic graphics, ESS audio chip, crisp 1024x768 active-matrix display, only a little thicker than my Macbook Pro (but a lot heavier 😜 ). It looks like this:

DSC01657.JPG
Filename
DSC01657.JPG
File size
246.11 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

(Sorry for the flash/lighting)

DSC01650.JPG
Filename
DSC01650.JPG
File size
213.51 KiB
Views
File license

I'd like to reformat & reinstall as the copy of W98 that's on there is having some issues. The problem is all info/drivers/service manuals have been expunged from the web, and googling only yields results for the Micron TransPort Trek 2 which is based on a Pentium II and has a pretty different hardware spec. Micron's website support is long gone and I'm not having any luck with the wayback machine lately.

Here's a crude listing of all the hardware it's got installed. I don't have a good way to get screenshots off it at the moment so this is what you get 😜 (the FDD is broken and inserting a USB memory stick hangs Windows even though it "should" have working drivers installed for that.)

DSC01653.JPG
Filename
DSC01653.JPG
File size
222.46 KiB
Views
File license
DSC01654.JPG
Filename
DSC01654.JPG
File size
255.3 KiB
Views
File license
DSC01655.JPG
Filename
DSC01655.JPG
File size
245.14 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by xjas on 2017-03-28, 05:57. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 4, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One more:

DSC01656.JPG
Filename
DSC01656.JPG
File size
240.5 KiB
Views
File license

Any help w/ this guy is appreciated! Getting my hands on the "official" Micron driver package would be amazing so I don't have to track them all down individually. I'd also love to find the manual so I can figure out how to open it up & replace the CMOS battery.

Edit: well, I found this nice page which has info and links to all the drivers on Microns support website. Unfortunately that page is defunct, so they're all broken. But at least I have filenames, sizes & timestamps to work with. If I/we track these all down I'll stick them on Vogonsdrivers.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 4, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to dig up the support page via the wayback machine which has some info, but unfortunately links to the manual / drivers on ftp.micronpc.com which is totally MIA. I don't suppose a mirror of that ftp site is around anywhere?

http://web.archive.org/web/20010629223819/htt … b.asp?Hub=Trek1

Mamont FTP search doesn't find anything & googling the filenames only provides icky malware vector sites like driverg**de, etc. I don't trust those at all, even if it is eventually possible to coax the files out of them.

Reply 3 of 4, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well well well. I found the user manual & the video driver on the machine itself. Guess it never hurts to poke around the HDD. (I'm gonna image the whole thing anyway, planning to upgrade from one gigabyte clear up to *five*.)

Here they are for future reference:

Filename
Micron_Transport_Trek_Neomagic_128XD_video_driver_w9598.zip
File size
250.4 KiB
Downloads
65 downloads
File license
Filename
1544-00.PDF
File size
510.88 KiB
Downloads
62 downloads
File license

Incidentally I got generic the USB flash drives working. I had to burn this 700k driver onto a whole CD all by itself (luckily it was an RW so I can reuse it 😜 ) but it's on there now.

Reply 4 of 4, by Scrolls

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey I have one of these laptops and was wondering if I could Extract any drivers from it to distribute freely, is this possible? All the drivers seem to be fully functional other than the video drivers on it. (Haven’t tried your drivers yet)