VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello

I've got two YMF724 and two YMF744 (one of the 744 might not be working ...)
I know that there are a few differences between each cards (the 744 is supposed to be better isn't it ?) such as being able to use 4 speakers one the 744. However the 744 seems to have a slightly higher compatibility under windows. Well maybe it has other problems or my problem relied on something else, but with my two YMF724 on two different PCs, I tried duke nukem 3D and I was never able to make the sound fx to work. Each time I tried, both computers froze completely ... Last evening I tried the second YMF744 I recently got (like I said, I suspext the other 744 to be dead, but it's been a long time I tried it and I didn't go realy far, maybe I was just using the wrong plug 🤣 ) and ... It just worked. There doesn't seem to have a problem ! Please note that duke 3D was the only game where I had compatibility issues under windows (under MS-DOS, using the sb_link cable it worked on the 724), every other game I tried worked without any issue.

What do you think about this ? Can you confirm that the YMF744 works with duke3d under windows while le 724 doesn't ? (except with the other drivers but to me they are really bad because the XG synth doesn't work with that one and the sfx are working but they are crackling)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative