VOGONS

First post, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, so here's the situation with this.. I've tried several clean installs of Win98 SE and WinME on my i945p computer. I have a 6800 Ultra 512MB PCI-E card. I have working chipset drivers for this chipset for Win9x, that's not the issue.. I'm using nvidia drivers revision 81.98 and the only mod I have done to it is edit the main *.INF file to add in a hardware ID for the PCIE card so the drivers will load. There is no errors what so ever during the driver install portion. It flies through, gets to the end, asks to reboot, reboot, everything is fine. I can run many Direct3D games just fine (Carmageddon II, Half-Life 1, Decent III, etc.) The problem is when I try to run OpenGL games.. like Quake-III or Quake-II in OpenGL mode.. or even Half-Life 1 in OpenGL mode.. they all dump back to the desktop with an error "Selected Video Mode Not Supported, running in software mode" (Error for Half-Life 1), and Quake II just reverts back to software mode as well.. and Quake III just dumps me to desktop and shows the blue start up box with errors saying mode not available.

So it seems like 81.98 doesn't have OpenGL support??? I thought it did?!?!?!?! Maybe I'm confused... Do I need to install something else to get this working?

Does anyone have any information about this or a suggestion please?

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried a benchmark utility? Open GL-Stars, maybe?
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/opengl_stars.html

Or perhaps rRootage?
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/rr_e.html

Reply 2 of 9, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
Have you tried a benchmark utility? Open GL-Stars, maybe? http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/opengl_stars.html […]
Show full quote

Have you tried a benchmark utility? Open GL-Stars, maybe?
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/opengl_stars.html

Or perhaps rRootage?
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/rr_e.html

I tried Stars at 800x600.. all I did was click resolution in the window then clicked Run button, and it fails and I get this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
New session started @ 30/03/2000 8:10:06 PM
...working directory: C:\STUFF\OPENGL STARS
...setting mode: 800x600
...using bit-depth of 32
...calling ChangeDisplaySettings: OK
...creating main window
...disabling screen-saver
...hiding cursor
Initializing OpenGL subsystem:
...loading 'opengl32.dll' and 'glu32.dll': succeeded
...getting current gamma ramp
...creating rendering context:
...pixel format selected: 4
...setting selected pixel format: OK
Error: Selected mode requires software rendering!
...calling RevertDisplaySettings: OK
...enabling screen-saver
...showing cursor

Reply 3 of 9, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

rRootage seems to run fine though! This is so weird... O.O 😲

EDIT: It's some sort of standard Dell LCD panel I found in some dumpster. Does 4:3 resolution and everything from 320x240 -> 1280x1024 @ 60 hz, at least in Direct3D and "2D Windows desktop". Maybe it is just the screen.. no idea on this one.

Reply 4 of 9, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kithylin wrote:

Okay, so here's the situation with this.. I've tried several clean installs of Win98 SE and WinME on my i945p computer. I have a 6800 Ultra 512MB PCI-E card. I have working chipset drivers for this chipset for Win9x, that's not the issue.. I'm using nvidia drivers revision 81.98 and the only mod I have done to it is edit the main *.INF file to add in a hardware ID for the PCIE card so the drivers will load. There is no errors what so ever during the driver install portion. It flies through, gets to the end, asks to reboot, reboot, everything is fine. I can run many Direct3D games just fine (Carmageddon II, Half-Life 1, Decent III, etc.) The problem is when I try to run OpenGL games.. like Quake-III or Quake-II in OpenGL mode.. or even Half-Life 1 in OpenGL mode.. they all dump back to the desktop with an error "Selected Video Mode Not Supported, running in software mode" (Error for Half-Life 1), and Quake II just reverts back to software mode as well.. and Quake III just dumps me to desktop and shows the blue start up box with errors saying mode not available.

So it seems like 81.98 doesn't have OpenGL support??? I thought it did?!?!?!?! Maybe I'm confused... Do I need to install something else to get this working?

Does anyone have any information about this or a suggestion please?

Try GLExcess, its a great OGL benchmark for Win9X.

Reply 5 of 9, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matcarfer wrote:

Try GLExcess, its a great OGL benchmark for Win9X.

It's fine that some work and some don't. But some of the games I want to play the most are OpenGL based games. And since they won't run in this configuration in Win98 I almost mostly abandoned it. May still go back to it for other games, not sure yet.

Reply 7 of 9, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azarien wrote:
kithylin wrote:

So it seems like 81.98 doesn't have OpenGL support?

According to http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_81.98.html
81.98 drivers should have OpenGL 2.0 support.

Then why doesn't it work for everything for my 6800 Ultra in Win98? I'm so confused.. 🙁

Reply 8 of 9, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:
Error: Selected mode requires software rendering! ...calling RevertDisplaySettings: OK ...enabling screen-saver ...showing curso […]
Show full quote

...enabling screen-saver
...showing cursor

From that error... Did you try any other screen modes (resolution, color depth, refresh rate)? The error sounds like it could be an application-related limit to me.

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 9 of 9, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kenrouholo wrote:
kithylin wrote:
Error: Selected mode requires software rendering! ...calling RevertDisplaySettings: OK ...enabling screen-saver ...showing curso […]
Show full quote

...enabling screen-saver
...showing cursor

From that error... Did you try any other screen modes (resolution, color depth, refresh rate)? The error sounds like it could be an application-related limit to me.

Yeah I tried all the resolutions, they all did the same thing.. everything from 640x480 up to the monitor's maximum of 1280x1024.

I don't have win98se on this system anymore so kinda gave up on it for now.