VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/2wI8r

rJAGkkEl.jpg

Picked up a pretty decent looking German 386sx system at a local Craigslist listing, along with some more standard gear.

I disassembled it after I got home, and found a handful of cards I can't find manufacturer parts/names for.

I also found (surprise surprise) a leaking barrel battery 🙁.

The motherboard, pre- and post-cleaning:

I17hONdl.jpg

xF15GfVl.jpg

Full motherboard:

r59gADdl.jpg

Haven't been brave enough to power it on, cleaned and need to let dry first.

Not pulling anything on the motherboard identifier (BIOTEQ 82C4800) on the internet.

It had 8 chips that appear to be 1Mb each, which is nice.

xF15GfVl.jpg

First unidentified card: Random modem with UV-eraseable EPROM:

3Bvrw9yl.jpg?2

Second unidentified card: Multi-IO card (two serial, one parallel, and a game port??? Odd combination:

voyl45tl.jpg?1

Third unidentified card:

MrgtKvil.jpg?1

Last unidentified card:

M8vLtyZl.jpg

I know what these are: Mitsumi CD-ROM controller and Cirrus Logic video card.

MPqWNFWs.jpg
fUT4E80s.jpg?1

If anyone can help me figure out what these are, I'd appreciate it! I'm still googling like crazy myself...

Last edited by keenerb on 2017-03-31, 12:37. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 17, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nothing odd here. I also picked up a Highscreen 2 weeks ago without knowing what it contained. Checked the case later, it said 386dx40. Was already worried I'd find a leaker. Shock and horror, someone upgraded it to an early socket7. With a Tseng et6k.

What you are seeing there are early 386 components. IO cards were not very integrated, that's why you have a separate disk interface. Luckily it's already IDE. These should be the original component, someone just slapped a new board in there. Remember that Highscreen was not an expensive brand. Check the power supply, I found some interestingly designed chokes in mine.

Reply 4 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ this
You are having a (useless nowdays modem) , serial/lpt/gameport , ide/floppy controlller and lastly a network card all in separate cards like elod wrote.
All except the modem are useful , the NIC will allow for easy file transfers once you locate it's DOS Packet driver and use mTCP's ftpserver

It's a nice machine, though it would be better to have a vlb slot for a graphics card... still quite usable though, just not for the latest and most demanding dos games

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 17, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I was unclear in my first post.

I understand WHAT the cards are; I don't know WHICH cards they are.

There's no identifiable markings on the modem, the ethernet card, or the hard drive controller. The hard drive controller has a part number similar to a Maxtor ISA IDE/CF card, at least, but I don't know if the ethernet card is NE2000 compatible, or where to find the drivers if not.

Same for the serial card, I"m not at all certain if the parallel port or game port is configurable, only IRQ jumpers are labeled.

If anyone can point me towards jumper settings or manufacturer part numbers for any of these devices, I'd be very grateful. I've already scoured tularc for the NIC and found nothing with a matching schematic...

Reply 9 of 17, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I peeled the sticker off of the large chip on the IDE card and it's a 27C64. Seems to indicate this might be more intelligent than the typical ISA drive controller, that would be a nice surprise.

I BELIEVE it's an acculogic card of some sort, based on an amazon listing with no picture.

Reply 10 of 17, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I powered the system on today, nothing but three very, very slow beeps.

I took a very careful look at the memory, and noticed some pins had been bent down in the 30 pin DIMM slots, so I carefully pried them back into place, viola it boots!

Keyboard error though, with my Tandy Enhanced keyboard, so still needs some work it seems...

Reply 11 of 17, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try this website in identifying the brand/model no: http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/

Bit of a tedious process, but I've had success in the past in identifying motherboards, controllers & graphics cards.

Reply 12 of 17, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I possibly found my IO card on there, but nothing for hard drive controller or ethernet card.

I'm going to hoe that the ethernet card is NE2000 compatible, at least I could get a MAC address out of it and maybe find some info that way...

Reply 13 of 17, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mitsumi 1xspeed cdrom drive. 😜
That was my first drive and the way you insert a disc are just one major cool factor. Hope it still works.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most drives from that period were caddy jobs, so that mechanism is even more remarkable.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

Mitsumi 1xspeed cdrom drive. 😜
That was my first drive and the way you insert a disc are just one major cool factor. Hope it still works.

Same!

I loved that drive. It was a game changer that's for sure.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 16 of 17, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I found the motherboard:
https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/m/A-B/32447.htm
BIOSTAR MICROTECH INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION
MB-1420/1425/1433PB REV. A
or
MB-1420/1425/1433PV REV. A

Please check the board again for any of these markings, it might be 14xxPB or even just PB. Let us know if you booted this thing what the bios string in the bootom of the bootscreen says, then we can confirm possibly.

Reply 17 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenerb wrote on 2017-03-31, 12:36:
Sorry, I was unclear in my first post. […]
Show full quote

Sorry, I was unclear in my first post.

I understand WHAT the cards are; I don't know WHICH cards they are.

There's no identifiable markings on the modem, the ethernet card, or the hard drive controller. The hard drive controller has a part number similar to a Maxtor ISA IDE/CF card, at least, but I don't know if the ethernet card is NE2000 compatible, or where to find the drivers if not.

Same for the serial card, I"m not at all certain if the parallel port or game port is configurable, only IRQ jumpers are labeled.

If anyone can point me towards jumper settings or manufacturer part numbers for any of these devices, I'd be very grateful. I've already scoured tularc for the NIC and found nothing with a matching schematic...

Could you take some more high-res photographs? That NIC in particular seems teeming with information on both sides of the card I just can't read...

Apart from that I wouldn't expect too much need to configure stuff - assume that serial, parallel, FDD and IDE are all at standard resources until proven otherwise. The cards let you select oddball settings, but generally the only relevant ones are enable/disable the ports, and as the system doesn't have conflicting devices as far as you've shown us, everything should just be enabled.