VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I only have a very unclear picture of a 486 motherboard + cpu + ram that someone is selling for $35

5348489143.jpg
Filename
5348489143.jpg
File size
206.73 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Would anyone be able to recognize the motherboard from such a blurry picture? I know that the cpu is 33Mhz, but I would like to know if you could put any faster cpu on that motherboard and if it is worth paying $35 for that.
I have to make the decision based on that picture and I won't be able to get any more pictures of it.

Reply 1 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just the memory is probably worth more than $35. And the cpu probably goes for $15 by itself. So it seems to be a very good deal, assuming it works. Can't tell from the photo, but the condition of the barrel battery could be a deal-breaker. It doesn't *seem* like it's leaking from the blurry pic, but who knows?

No VLB slots is a bit of a bummer, and maybe a hint that it's maxed out at 33Mhz?

Cache slots are full, which is good. But sometimes these systems have fake cache, and again, can't tell from the pic.

If the $35 is not a hardship for you, then I'd take the chance on it. But maybe you could get clearer photos or questions answered before you buy?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 14, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can always replace the cpu with DX2 - ie DX2-66 or even 80 if the board supports 40MHz FSB. With voltage converter adapter you can use even up to DX4-133/160MHz cpus. But as it only has ISA slots, VGA performance will suffer.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 14, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The seller doesn't seem to know much about the motherboard when I asked him earlier. He did say that the battery doesn't appear to be leaking and when I asked him about the cpu and what model the motherboard is, he just replied what text is on the cpu.

A80486DX-33
L2526281
SX419

Reply 4 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Isa-only would be a deal breaker for me, a 486 really needs a VLB vga IMHO

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 14, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought it. In the end I got it real cheap. I paid $32 it and that includes shipping. If the motherboard isn't good, at least I get the memory modules and the cpu, so I don't think it was a big risk.

Reply 7 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote:

I bought it. In the end I got it real cheap. I paid $32 it and that includes shipping. If the motherboard isn't good, at least I get the memory modules and the cpu, so I don't think it was a big risk.

Exactly. That memory and cpu can be used in a different 486 board if necessary, and you got them for less than if you were to buy them straight. Well done, keep us posted on how the board works!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 8 of 14, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally received the motherboard today. I removed the leaky battery and took couple non-blurry photos of it.

20170504_005904.jpg
Filename
20170504_005904.jpg
File size
4.5 MiB
Views
File license
20170504_010138.jpg
Filename
20170504_010138.jpg
File size
3.37 MiB
Views
File license

There are few things I noticed. The power connector on the motherboard isn't straight, but it might have been like that when it has been manufactured. There is also a jumper in middle of the connector next to where the battery was that is suppose to external battery connector.
There is M423 Rev 1.2 writen on the motherboard, so the motherboard seems to be this one: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/I/IL … -486-M-423.html

As you can see from the bottom picture, the motherboard isn't straight. Is there any way to straighten it without causing it damage?

Reply 9 of 14, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think you have to worry about straightening it. If you mount it in a case that is in good shape, use proper standoffs, and screw it down, it should be OK.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 10 of 14, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the cache ships are not fake, I should have 256Kb cache
Should I remove the jumper that the previous owner has put in that external battery connector?
Based on that manual that I linked, it says that you can't put faster than 50Mhz DX2 cpu on the motherboard, which is kind of disappointing. I might have been interested in trying that 80Mhz Cyrix that I got with another motherboard because that motherboard is much more corroded than this one.

Reply 11 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

If the cache ships are not fake, I should have 256Kb cache
Should I remove the jumper that the previous owner has put in that external battery connector?
Based on that manual that I linked, it says that you can't put faster than 50Mhz DX2 cpu on the motherboard, which is kind of disappointing. I might have been interested in trying that 80Mhz Cyrix that I got with another motherboard because that motherboard is much more corroded than this one.

The manual might be outdated. If your board supports 33MHz FSB (which it seems to be able to do), it might also support the 5v DX2-66.

As you already know, it's a really early 486 board, it's probably gonna be kinda similar to a top-range 386 board.

If your Cyrix works in it, why not run it at 2x33MHz? It should at least be a step-up 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 14, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. Perhaps I will try. It has a bit strange ram configuration. In bank 0 there seems to 4 normal 1mb modules but in bank 1 it seems to have 256Kb modules that say "laser printer memory x4" on the chips.
It probably isn't one of the earliest 486 motherboard, because it seems to have been manufactured in 1992.

Reply 13 of 14, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have three of those M423 boards. some features and configuration options are quite strange. What is this 7-pin "weitek 4167" connector about? The board offers two Opti local bus slots, but I get no vga output with an Et4000 loca bus vga card . I guess my card might be a non working one. Am5x86 with voltage adapter is not working (reboots after memory count)

Reply 14 of 14, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote on 2017-05-03, 22:19:

I finally received the motherboard today. I removed the leaky battery and took couple non-blurry photos of it.

Do you still have this board ? And if so, could you make a BIOS dump ? I'm trying to identify the chipset and a BIOS image would be very useful.

http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/3068