VOGONS

First post, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When boot into win95, everything work fine but after about 5 mins the pc speaker beeps once and screen goes black like its turning off but if I press a key on keyboard, the screen comes back but freezes and and a soft reset doesn't work, I have to do a hard reset and sometime a windows protection error appears and the video driver resets to default, what is happening and my specs are below

Atc-1000+ motherboard
Pentium 133
32 mb ram
Intel 100 network card
S3 virge/dx - 4mb
Voodoo 1 (diamond card) - 4mb (have put passive heatsinks on)
Soundblaster 16 card
Pci extractor fan (below voodoo 1 card) and have a case fan installed on other side of case

1x cd-rom
5.25 floppy drive
3.5 floppy drive

200 watt psu

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2017-04-08, 12:19. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, perhaps it is related to APM or ACPI support (or buggy Virge/Voodoo drivers, don't know).
Another version of Windows 95 or a BIOS update might also solve that issue.
If not, you can always give Windows 98SE a try. Or if that's too new, Windows 96. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have updated the bios recently (which there was only one for allowing hdd up to 64gb) but kept a backup of old bios

thinking trying different drivers for voodoo card or if worst comes to worst, i try doing a fresh install of 95 and wanna keep the pentium pc for dos to win 95 era as i already have a another one for win98 to xp era

can't be the s3 card as never any issues before on 95

but i am also thinking since i have so much in the pc that maybe the psu is powerful enough for everything - so maybe see if a bigger psu for an AT motherboard if possible

Reply 3 of 5, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

think i fixed the problem

my cd-rom drive I used was a 52x one think it needed more power

I swapped it out for a 32x cd-rom drive and no issues so far and been running for few hours now

UPDATE

don't think that worked

it happened again after about half hour of switching on the morning

Reply 4 of 5, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote:
think i fixed the problem […]
Show full quote

my cd-rom drive I used was a 52x one think it needed more power

I swapped it out for a 32x cd-rom drive and no issues so far and been running for few hours now

UPDATE

don't think that worked

it happened again after about half hour of switching on the morning

2nd UPDATE

tried taking out the voodoo 1 card and trying that and still happens but I have noticed for last few days I hear a very fast clicking sound once in a blue moon and now thinking it the hdd that might cause

try to run the seagate tool for dos from a bootable cd and the beeping and black screens happen right away

Reply 5 of 5, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i replace the pci extractor fan for a lower power one and removed the thermal paste from cpu and heatsink because i when apply the paste to it, the problems happens