VOGONS

First post, by iKarith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone,

I am building a super socket 7 system on a budget and picked up an Acorp 5ali61. It has a turbo switch connector, but the only manual I can find for it gives no indication what turbo is going to do for me.

Classically, I know that when a turbo button was pressed, the system would slow down for older software. However the cheap ATX case I picked up suggests in its example that you'd press the turbo button to speed up the system. Go figure--the board says the default setting is the switch to be closed--of course it takes a two-pin switch, not three pin like the case has.

Of course the front panel switch also connects to an LED display and the LED display is supposed to connect to 5v using a cable that ends in just wires. Okay, I can replace that, fine. In fact it'd give me a 1x2 header connector for whichever side of the switch I should connect to the board. But what's the turbo button even do on this board?

There's also the question of being able to toggle 66 vs. 100 MHz (K6-2+ 550). That's short or don't short two jumpers. I can add another switch for that, unless Turbo does what I basically want anyway by cutting the FSB in half or something?

Some advice would be appreciated here. I've never had a board so modern with a turbo switch at all. (Read: PLS HALP!!!)

Thanks! 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depending on how you connect the turbo button (only two pins should be connected), it will either slow down or speed the CPU up with turbo on.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 3 of 3, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bbuchholtz wrote on 2021-12-15, 15:24:

Did you ever find out the behavior of turbo with this motherboard?

-Brian

Got this board as well now. It arrived with a jumper on the turbo. However removing the jumper makes no difference in terms of speed. Benchmarks before and after are the same.
The only thing which does change is the Turbo LED Pins next to it, the LED does light up if the turbo is jumpered. Seems like a very sophisticated lightswitch to me...