VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've come across a new, unused Seagate ST31621A drive (1.62gb). It's sitting here sealed in a factory antistatic bag.

I'm contemplating sticking this in a 386SX-16 Packard Bell Legend to tinker with, but if it's something of value to retro system enthusiasts I'd just as soon let someone else enjoy it and use a CF card adapter or something...

Reply 1 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd imagine it's worth much more than a used one because a big part of a drive's reliability is Power On Hours. If the drive has zero POH, it should be more valuable than a drive with 50,000. So, if you're looking for a reliable drive, you have it (assuming no physical damage of course).

edit: not sure about drives of yesteryear, but nowadays, 50,000 POH is considered "end of life" and people recommend retiring such drives because the probability of failure goes up exponentially.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 8, by WR3ND

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In older DOS 6.22 systems 2GB or so is the practical limit, though SCSI drives and controllers might need to be use depending on the motherboard.

I'm looking for an older SCSI 2GB drive myself and there are several listed at over 100 USD on eBay used. I'm in no rush really though.

Cheers.

Reply 3 of 8, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WR3ND wrote:

In older DOS 6.22 systems 2GB or so is the practical limit, though SCSI drives and controllers might need to be use depending on the motherboard.

Depends on the BIOS, really. 524Mb, 1Gb, 2Gb, 8Gb (in four 2Gb partitions) depending on the system. Most contemporary SCSI controllers had a 1Gb or 8Gb limit.

Reply 4 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WR3ND wrote:

This is the FAT16 limit. The true upper limit depends on the BIOS. I'm also curious as I haven't tested this, how many logical drives can DOS 6.22 create and use on one single HDD?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
WR3ND wrote:

This is the FAT16 limit. The true upper limit depends on the BIOS. I'm also curious as I haven't tested this, how many logical drives can DOS 6.22 create and use on one single HDD?

For DOS, you can have:
- max. 4 primary partitions
- unlimited number of logical partitions on an extended partition (of course you will be limited to available letters in English alphabet 🤣)
- max. 8GB total of partitioned space on a single HDD.

There is a nice discussion related to the subject:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/159631-testin … os-limitations/

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just to clarify, this is a kernel limit on supported HDD geometry, not just an issue with FDISK?

Reply 7 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Just to clarify, this is a kernel limit on supported HDD geometry, not just an issue with FDISK?

No, nothing to do with Fdisk. There are many different partitioning utilities around for DOS but the limits are the same (and I'm talking about version 5 or above) and not related to partitioning software. Except, Fdisk cannot create more than one primary partitions on a single disk, so you need to use something else.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 8 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Time finally caught up with MS-DOS 6.22. I guess I need to finish a PC-DOS 7.1 install procedure, then!