VOGONS

First post, by Samui

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to install a nVidia TNT2 M64 (16MB, PCI) into my retro writing/gaming PC, but the motherboard does not seem to be detecting it. A basic run-down on the specs of this writing computer are as follows:

Motherboard: FIC VT-502 (i430VX chipset) -- Flashed to latest available BIOS that I could find (v.1.13FF104, 2/22/1999)
Processor: AMD K6II 266MHz, clocked to 300MHz (my memory could be off on this one. CPU-Z and /proc/cpuinfo both seem to indicate this is a K6-III+)
Memory: 128MB EDO RAM
Hard Drive: 20GB ( 6.4GB - Win2k, 6.4GB - Debian Wheezy, 6.8GB - Debian Home folder, 403MB - swap )
Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional, Debian Wheezy (Jessie dropped the Glint XOrg drivers)
Video Card: 3dLabs Permedia2 8mb (Looking to upgrade this one for reason stated above)
Sound Card: Yamaha PCI Audio (YMF-724)
Monitor: NEC MultiSync LCD1560M

As I've said, I attempted installing the card into the system, and I'm greeted with a long beep, followed by two short ones, which indicates a VGA problem. The system still boots fine, gets through POST okay, but there's no display. Putting the Permedia2 back in and enabling IRQ for VGA still does not produce any results.

I moved the card into a newer system (ASUS P5PE-VM mainboard), and the card is detected there. I've even upgraded its BIOS to the latest available, but still no joy in the VT-502.

Any ideas on what could possibly be the cause?

Reply 1 of 2, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably the card is a higher PCI spec than the motherboard, expecting a different voltage. I've had that happen as well, with a PCI TNT2 M64 no less. First one I bought had a universal keying and my motherboard, which had 5v PCI slots, would not read it. I then found and bought a TNT2 M64 with 5v keying, which worked fine. Read here for more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI
specifically, the section "Conventional Hardware Specifications"
Funny that some "universal" cards won't work in 5v slots, even though they are supposed to.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 2, by Samui

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Based on the diagram, it is a universal card, and the PCI slots on the motherboard are 5v.

I've ordered a Matrox G200 G2, which also has universal keying. Hopefully I'll have better luck with it. Otherwise, I'm going to have to find a card with 5v keying.