VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm looking at getting a Socket 370 motherboard for some Pentium 3 gaming. On ebay (in the UK at least) some are rather expensive (being £60+). So I've been looking at some OEM branded motherboards like Compaq which are all sub £20. I have the following to choose from. Three Compaqs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361420076608?_trksi … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231737174274?_trksi … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361420180217?_trksi … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and a QDI motherbaord:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361420845252?_trksi … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Which would you recommend? I can't find much documentation on any of the Compaqs.

• What chipsets are these likely to have- Intel 8series or 4 series? Does it matter if I am not interested in overclocking?
  • I will be using a 700MHz Coppermine CPU for the moment. Am I likely to have support for Tualatin CPUs? Will it depend on the Chipset?
  • Will I need to get 'new' RAM? I have 100MHz 168pin SDRAM from my Pentium 2 build, whereas I'll be looking at CPUs with 133MHz FSB speed- will I need 133 /150 rated RAM?

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 6, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would say the QDI.

CPU support and BIOS possibilities are limited on most OEM boards. Overklocking is mostly not possible on OEM boards.

Before buying check the CPU compatibility, especially if you planning to run a Tualatin.

On the memory question, I'm not really sure. Never tried to run 100 SDR on a 133 FSB CPU. Maybe it is possible to set the memory on 100 Mhz, but that's a Bios question again. 133 Mhz Memory is not very expensive (at least here in Germany).

Maybe it is cheaper to buy a whole old PIII computer. I bought one whit a Tualatin Celeron 1200 for almost nothing, shipping cost were higher that the PC. After I got it, I changes the memory to 1 Gig and the CPU into a 1400 PIII. And put a Big harddisk in.

Reply 2 of 6, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Be aware of the Compaq EN/ENL Boards. Sometimes they use special fan connectors that gives error messages if you dont use all fans (often 4pin). Even missing front panel devices can give messages.

Reply 3 of 6, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do like the look of that second board, but yea, I don't know anything about it.

I'm getting a DELL board soon that looks similar. I got an Adapter for the ATX connector though, but otherwise it should work alright.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 6, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roman78 wrote:

I would say the QDI CPU support and BIOS possibilities are limited on most OEM boards. Overklocking is mostly not possible on OEM boards...
...Maybe it is cheaper to buy a whole old PIII computer. I bought one whit a Tualatin Celeron 1200 for almost nothing, shipping cost were higher that the PC. After I got it, I changes the memory to 1 Gig and the CPU into a 1400 PIII. And put a Big harddisk in.

I had similar thoughts on the QDI.

I have looked locally to get hold of a P3 PC, as I know it would cheaper or even free, but there are none about and I don't recall seeing one actually; it is usually 30% Pentium 4 PCs, 50% S775 PCs; 20% Ridiculously overpriced new "gaming" PCs with Radeon 5450s in them.

Scraphoarder wrote:

Be aware of the Compaq EN/ENL Boards. Sometimes they use special fan connectors that gives error messages if you dont use all fans (often 4pin). Even missing front panel devices can give messages.

OK good to know thanks!

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I do like the look of that second board, but yea, I don't know anything about it.

I'm getting a DELL board soon that looks similar. I got an Adapter for the ATX connector though, but otherwise it should work alright.

I am struggling to find any relevant documentation for the Compaq boards, even what PC models they came in!

Thank you for your replies 😀

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 5 of 6, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd certainly go with the QDI. Between the advantage of documentation OEM motherboards generally don't give you many configuration options. I am not against using OEM boards when they are significantly cheaper OR if they are all that's availible, but all other things being equal go with the board that is either Retail or sold to custom OEMs rather then big box OEMs that customize their BIOSes.

Reply 6 of 6, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think you have to worry about the ATX connector on these Compaq Socket 370 motherboards.

Compaq Deskpro motherboards from this time do not follow the ATX standard to 100% but as you can see if clicking the link below the difference should not hinder the motherboard from working with a normal ATX PSU. The pinout is basicly the same except for a COM pin that the Compaq motherboard and PSU use for "RTN/RS" and this does not seem to matter at all from what I have seen. Ignore the text about the server PSU, it does not apply to the common workstations but I would avoid using any Compaq PSU with a standard ATX motherboard as it's unnecessary and I have never tested it.

http://pinouts.ru/Power/compaq_psu_pinout.shtml

The motherboard I have been using with normal ATX PSUs is the "COMPAQ 118053-001 SLOT 1 Deskpro EP/EN motherboard" but I would think (but there are no guarantees) that all ATX sized Compaq Deskpro Pentium II and Pentium III motherboards would work with a normal ATX PSU.

I have seen the issue with an odd 4 pin fan connector and a BIOS complaining about a missing fan but only with OEM Asus P2B-98XV motherboards. I solved the issue with the OEM Asus board by crossflashing the normal Asus BIOS for the retail version and that also adds support for Coppermine CPUs as long as you have a slotket with voltage control so you can change the voltage setting to 1.8V.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.