VOGONS

First post, by shoggoth80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all. First post. Yay. Lol.
Anyway. I haven't messed with a DOS machine since probably 1999. Fond memories of a few titles I owned, and societal my friends did. Now, I have a bunch of GoG games, and a couple good titles with an auto launch for DOSBox...but I also still have a couple mid 90s era computers hanging around. Thinking I'm gonna resurrect one, or both.

One is an Acer that I always had to have a boot disk to run anything on, the other is a Packard Bell that has DOS 5.x and Win 3.11 on it. They're of similar vintage. Think they're 486 based. Will know more this weekend. I do know that the graphics were never really upgraded in either.

I picked up some extra bits cheap the other day, which include a Diamond Monster 3D (Voodoo 1) add on card, a GeForce2MX, and a CT4740 by Creative. I think that's a PCI Soundblaster 16. I have images of several Windows legacy systems, 95, 98, DOS, 3.11... So I should be able to piece something together between what I have, and what I grabbed.

I'm sure I'll have some questions after I crack into it all and pull specs. It's been ages, but the games were quite fun.

Reply 2 of 9, by shoggoth80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I plan to steer this in a hardware direction, once I have a broader scope of what I'm dealing with.

Like how is PCI Soundblaster 16 support under the last revision of DOS? and What GPU would you pair a Voodoo 1 accelerator card with for 90s era DOS gaming, or is that already too archaic?

Reply 3 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are subjects that have been discussed here many, many times before and you would do well to avail yourself of the search feature.

There are DOS drivers for the PCI Sound Blaster cards, but the particular "revision of DOS" does not matter so much as the specific motherboard you are using. The drivers also tend to require EMM386, but that is only problematic in rare cases. A greater problem is the lack of proper OPL3 synthesis.

The Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 function completely independently of whatever 2D card you combine them with, so you would pair them with a 2D card appropriate for whatever 2D DOS games you want to play.

Reply 4 of 9, by shoggoth80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah. I've got reading to do. I did a bit of searching prior to signing up. There's a LOT of information. I didn't mess with the insides of the machines as much back then, so my knowledge base is less in that area, than more recent stuff. I knew how to install the games, make boot disks, and play them. Lol. That was about it for the time. Didn't get into understanding hardware until some time later.

Was curious if there was a more de facto card combo for the Voodoo. I had contemplated an S3 ViRGE, but was told that would be under powered...but it seems that guys run them with good results? I've seen that card mentioned more than once searching.

Reply 5 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's far better to find something that works for your purposes than to concern yourself with tracking down components for some "de facto card combo". If your DOS games happen to work with your GeForce 2 MX, why worry?

Reply 6 of 9, by shoggoth80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would anything be gained by linking the Voodoo and the GeForce2? I suppose that is a better question. Being that I've got those two components on hand? I know some folks build more than one machine to accommodate more than one era (based on Google results). Is putting those two together a reasonable combo? Or does the GeForce 2 outclass the Voodoo in 3D acceleration (4 year gap)? Or would the Voodoo add compatibility for Glide (I think that's it)? I never had these components back in the day, so my experience is zero here.

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shoggoth80 wrote:

Or would the Voodoo add compatibility for Glide (I think that's it)?

That would pretty much be the only reason to have the Voodoo, yes. If you are not planning to run any Glide games, then you do not need the Voodoo.

shoggoth80 wrote:

I know some folks build more than one machine to accommodate more than one era (based on Google results).

Start doing that, and it may easily consume all the time you might otherwise spend playing old games, if not your life entirely.

Reply 9 of 9, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
shoggoth80 wrote:

I know some folks build more than one machine to accommodate more than one era (based on Google results).

Start doing that, and it may easily consume all the time you might otherwise spend playing old games, if not your life entirely.

Not sure if that's meant as a bad thing or a good thing... 🙄