VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying to boot up the build for the first time and alhtough the boot order is set to CD-ROM first, floppy second....it wont boot off either.

I know the floppy disk is good and I've tried several drives and cables
CD is good, just made it. Tried other bootable CD as well

System gets to the point where it should boot off the CD and you can hear the device reading the disk, but the system just waits a few seconds and moves on to network boot
For Floppy, it doesnt even read the disk (light is on but no reading activity) and just goes to network book

WTF?

Reply 1 of 9, by r.cade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The early days of booting from CD was a different format and had compatibility problems. It sort of emulated a floppy drive... "El Torito format?". It's been years...

What are you trying to boot? Basically maybe the Windows 95 boot CD might work, that's about it.

Reply 3 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not booting from floppy is a red flag.

Can you disable the Ethernet in BIOS for testing?

Solid light could be the Floppy connected the wrong way. Double check the orientation with pin 1.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 9, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had to pull the PCI NIC Card from the system to get it to boot from floppy finally....the GoTek was able to boot from floppy after that.

I have to test a regular floppy drive on it next to see what it does.

Will also test boting from CD-ROM this evening and see how that goes....

Even though I disabled network booting, when the NIC Card (Intel GT Pro Desktop GB Adapter) was in the machine, it would appear to try and boot from CD or Floppy but quickly pass by it and try to boot from network anyway. Not sure if there is another BIOS setting I am missing or what. I am going to put a different NIC card in it once I get the OS installed.

Reply 5 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A solid light is probably the floppy disk drive connected the wrong way like phil said. Check that the red wire matches the pin 1 on the floppy disk drive connector and on the motherboard

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 9, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, the cable was fine....like I said, its booting from the GoTek now fine with the NIC Card removed from the computer. Not sure why it wont do it with the card in the system and Boot from Network disabled in the boot order. Machine still starts to read floppy or CD and then skips over it to start PXE booting.

Reply 9 of 9, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What other expansion cards do you have plugged into the board? Does altering the PCI slot you are using for the NIC make a difference?

When you powered up for the first time, did you reset the BIOS to defaults and disable all things you won't be using?

I would look past the boot issue and just check resources. I don't know if your NIC card is stubborn, but try it in PCI slot 3. You may also want to Reset Configuration Data from the boot menu in the BIOS.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video