VOGONS

First post, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Link to album with build photos:
https://imgur.com/a/a9m7Q

I've been working on this build all day. Having issues.

I am only getting a black screen upon power up. No beeps, motherboard has green light. Everything spins, CPU fan, and case fans. Hard drive spins, CD-Rom drive spins.

This is my first win 98 SE build from scratch, so this is probably something real stupid. Please refer to the pics if you need to. I know they may not help, but I willing to try anything I can.

ASUS TUV4X Board. (link to get manual here) http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock370/6 … x/tuv4x-101.pdf
500w PSU
CPU - Unknown (it came with the build) Thinking a Pentium III Tulatin 1ghz sine all the dips are off.
RAM - Again, unknown. I have 512MB coming any day now.
Hard drive - I have tried an IDE to SD adapter, with a 64GB SanDisk Ultra card, and a known working HD that already had Win 98SE on it.
Video Card - Voodoo3 3000 #S1B17 16MB AGP 2X Video Card 210-0364-003 (I tried 2 other non-voodoo cards as well)

What I have tried:

1. 2 monitors, and 2 different VGA cables.
2. multiple hard drives, and agp video cards.
3. Holding delete upon power up.
4. Triple checked the motherboard before install for broken and exposed traces.
5. Tried powering up with win 98se install disc in, although I don't knwo what the bios is set to boot to.
6. Changed the CMOS battery to a new one - Ialso think I reset the cmos with the jumpers, but the board does not appear to have the CMOS jumpers in the same place. I removed the jumper, and put it back on, on the SE side of the board, where the little connectors from the case go, SW, Reset, PWR, etc...

What may be the issue:

1. I see no power connector for the CPU - not sure if these old ones need a dedicated power cable?
2. All the little wires, reset, sw, +, -, etc --- maybe in the wrong spot. Been following the manual correctly... I think.
3. Made sure nothing was touching the motherboard, and made sure I used plenty of motherboard standoffs.
4. Maybe need to do something upon start up on the keyboard?
5. I'm a dumbass.

Reply 1 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try unplugging all leds and buttons for the case from the motherboard except the power button itself.

Find out for sure what the CPU it. Easy as taking off the heatsink.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also try to remove everything connected to MB except the CPU and the beeper.

A MB with CPU but no RAM should beep like crazy. If it is not beeping, MB or CPU may be failing (or CPU jumpers / settings are bad).

Once the MB beeps, you can add RAM, cards, storage (one at a time) to find bad components.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 10, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just in case it's a video-related issue - if you have a Win98 boot floppy, try booting from floppy (put floppy in floppy disk drive, then start computer). If the system generates lots of seeking and reading noises for several minutes, then it's likely it actually boots and that one or more of the following probably are true:
- the AGP port is dead
- the main board doesn't like any of the video cards
- the video cards are dead
- the cables are dead (unlikely)
- the monitors are dead or don't like the video modes that come out of the system

If it doesn't seem to be booting from floppy at all after power on, chances are it never gets past the BIOS check (or the floppy is badly connected or dead, but I'll assume you use known working components)...

Arctic wrote:

Could it be that your Voodoo 3 3000 AGP is bent?
It looks like it on the photos.

That card does indeed look like it's rather banana-shaped.

Reply 5 of 10, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know if you noticed, but on the top of the Voodoo 3 card there is mangled header an looks like it is shorted. Try straightening the pins, maybe there is problem.

Still have the feeling that the GPU is finicky or maybe even dead, just from the looks...

Also I agree with previous posts, try unplugging everything except beeper, power switch and CPU. Also check the chips if they are getting warm when they run. If they are really toasty, they could be possibly shot and if they are icy cold, there could problem with power.

Last edited by krivulak on 2017-04-20, 07:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm going to try some of this stuff in the morning, starting with bending that voodoo pin back, then trying to unhook everything. I have tried multiple GPU's, so even though that voodoo3 could be bad, I don't think it will fix my issues.

OK, dumb question alert. Looking over the motherboard manual. Which is the connector for the speaker that performs the POST beeps?

I see this one that may be it:

Speaker (Panel) - system warning speaker connector 4pin

I don't think any of the wires from my PSU fit this though, I will have to look in the morning, but I'm sure I left it untouched. I know I have a HD audio that I never used, but if I recall correct it was 7 pin plus a keyed slot.

Thanks everyone.

Reply 7 of 10, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't fret. I ended up buying 3 AMD motherboard bundles that didn't work. But I manged to use the other bits that came with the bundles, PSU, RAM, Heatsink and Fans etc.

The speakers connector should be 4 pins. That either links up to the chassis speaker or you can buy a seperate speaker module.

https://www.pgcomputercomponents.co.uk/mother … ector-747-p.asp

Reply 8 of 10, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jforrest1980 wrote:

I don't think any of the wires from my PSU fit this though, I will have to look in the morning, but I'm sure I left it untouched. I know I have a HD audio that I never used, but if I recall correct it was 7 pin plus a keyed slot.

Thanks everyone.

Speaker connector on the motherboard has nothing to do with PSU. You need to connect there a speaker or a beeper. Something like that:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-New-Motherboard- … 70AAOSwH71XOo8W

Or that, if you prefer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Internal-PC-Motherboa … 58AAOxyOlhSqjdS

As far as I understand there is nothing on the screen at all and If you already tried multiple monitors, display cards and cables, you really need to check your exact CPU and maybe re setup the switches accordingly. There is probably something wrong with your motherboard (hopefully wrongly adjusted CPU switches).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 9 of 10, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is an ASUS Jumperfree board. The jumper for Jumperfree modus is plugged in correctly:
=> position 2/3 on the 'JEN' socket right above the Powerled/HDled connection.
If the board and cpu are ok it should boot up without any further adjustments.

When you read the manual carefully you can see that the CMOS has to be reset via shorting
the two solder joints that are directly beneath the hinge of the CMOS battery holder.
These two solder joints are marked "CLRTC". The way how OP described resetting the CMOS via a jumper on the SE side of the board seems to be incorrect.
See page 21 of manual
5) Clear RTC RAM
These two solder points allow you to clear the Real Time Clock (RTC) RAM in
CMOS. You can clear the CMOS memory of date, time, and system setup
parameters by erasing the CMOS RTC RAM data. The RAM data in CMOS,
that include system setup information such as system passwords, is powered by
the onboard button cell battery.
To erase the RTC RAM:
(1) unplug the computer,
(2) short the solder points,
(3) plug and turn ON the computer,
(4) hold down the <Del> key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup to re-enter data

Reply 10 of 10, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I pulled the processor. It looks clean, no bent pins.

Pentium III SL5B3
3124B225-0118
1000/256/133/1.75v

I got caught up today when trying to work on this thing. I completely forgot to clear the CMOS, but I'm going to do that later tonight.

I did however get around to fixing the Voodoo3 pins, and installing some new RAM.

512MB Samsung SDRAM PC133 168 Pin.

Still no dice, but need to clear that CMOS and go from there.