VOGONS

First post, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, just out of curiosity - is it common for socket 7 mobos to have fried CMOS battery charging circuit?

I think my mobo might have this issue.

The RTC modelu is "DALLAS DS12B887", during POST i get CMOS battery Error, so naturally i need new RTC module, got two from Aliexpress "ODIN OEC12B887A", which from what I have read, are replacements of the original RTC chips.

The thing is, I still get CMOS error message during POST.

I've already shorted the clear cmos jumpers, no change, tried second ODIN - same story.

So i am wondering - did i bought broken RTC chips (is it common?) or is my mobo broken?

Reply 1 of 5, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's possible that those have flat batteries also.

I would mod one, with a new battery, and see if that sorts it out.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 5, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

It's possible that those have flat batteries also.

I would mod one, with a new battery, and see if that sorts it out.

Yeah, there's no telling how long that module's been stored before OP ordered it, or if it's a clone, what quality batteries they've used in the first place. Would go for the same approach, if it doesn't happen to be possible to measure the internal battery voltage between some of the RTC module's pins.

Reply 5 of 5, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently also xperienced the described behavior on a ga-586atv socket 7 board. Tried replacing the dallas chip with an odin or benchmarq one...gave me cmos error! It seems there is some incompatibility with these replacement parts though they should be identical.