VOGONS

First post, by 35mmshowdown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good day Vogons at large! Long time reader and first time poster here, with a question for ya'll regarding the mysterious MOBO I found in a recent thrift find.

Walked out of the house about 2 weeks ago with the sudden urge to finally bite the bullet and try to start up a DOS gaming rig- but given the state of Goodwill/SA's PC policy these days, I expected to find nothing at all, and quell the urge in a warm blanket of disappointment... till I walked into an old mom&pop thrift near my house and saw a shiny beige box hidden behind some old VCRs. My heart skipped a beat, and I told myself "it won't turn on, of course, and I won't spend any money"... Long story short, it POSTed right there in the store, and 15 dollars later, I was the proud owner of a socket 7 machine with (almost) all working hardware. Windows 95 was found installed and running well.

I pulled her apart and found a generic ATAPI 44x CD-ROM and floppy drive; CPU is a Pentium 166 SY016; sound and modem were generic ISA components, though the Sound card was DOA and Windows will not recognize it as PnP, despite attempts at a manual driver install; 4 gig IDE HD; Diamond Stealth64 S3 video card (huzzah!); and a sad set of 8 MB FPM SIMMS. SIMMS have since been replaced with 64 Meg of EDO, and I'm awaiting 512KB of IBM cache and a Creative AWE32 ISA card.

So this is my question: does anyone know anything about P&Q motherboards, specifically the P&Q L-9630-8 ML-1 94V I found all this stuff plugged into.

My research indicates that it has some passing familial production relationship with the Amptron PM-7900A. The P&Q has the same Intel i430VX chipset, the same SIMM/DIMM combination count, a USB headed (and USB support in BIOS) and general appearance; however, the PINOUT guides I found for the Amptron do not match the few printed jumper guides actually on the board, the PCI/ISA count differs, and the layout of the board itself differs slightly. It also has a dreaded DALLAS CMOS chip (thankfully socketted).

I would appreciate any general or specific advice/manuals/pinouts/data anyone might have for the P&Q line and/or this specific model. Also, what sorts of things can one do with a USB 1.0 headed in a Windows 95/DOS environment? I understand DOS has little to no USB support, but could I use a thumbdrive to transfer data in '95? Since the board has jumpered multipliers, does jacking the CPU up to 3 or 3.5X count as overclocking, and does that overheart the CPU?

I was 11 in 1996 when the board and most of this hardware was manufactured, and I have many fond memories of building and playing with socket 7 machines- but 20 years has erased much of my memory regarding this tech, and even DOS commands. My current struggles include- P&Q info; trying to remember how to setup COM and IRQ settings for an AWE card; and picking a good Multiboot software to shrink the current HDD partition and create a second partition to run a pure DOS 6.22 environment, as the current 95 setup makes playing CD-ROM DOS games like Rise of the Triad really obnoxious.

Any suggestions of a dead-simple Multiboot/partition tool for this sort of setup?

Thanks guys!

Reply 1 of 2, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This part P&Q L-9630-8 ML-1 94V (especially the 94V bit) doesn't seem like it's the actual model number.
9630 may to be a date code? It would match the CPU though, the SY016 was very common back in the day.

Could you provide us with some pics of the board? You may have overlooked some other writings. A good place for AT boards to search for model numbers is on the bottom side of the bottom ISA slot.

I may be wrong here, but a couple pics may help out a lot. I'm not familiar with the Amptron board you're referencing to.

The Pentium 1 (non-mmx) did support up to 3x multi, but some may have some of their multipliers locked.
If this is your only s7 CPU and the speed benefit is kinda marginal and your rig seems to be working (less the sound card), you may as well leave it as is.

And beware of ESD, so no strolling across a carpet all the time 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 2, by 35mmshowdown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply!

As for pics, I am out of the town for a couple days, but I found the following pictures on Ebay of other MOBOs listed as P&Q 9600 series-

s_l500.jpg s_l1600_1.jpg s_l1600.jpg

The second and third pics are the same 9635 board, and look virtually identical to mine. Luckily, my board (and these it seems) have pretty transparent jumper silkscreens, so I'm about 80% clear on what each of them does. It seems as if P&Q was some subsidiary distributor, or possibly Amptron's manufacturer being allowed to sell a portion of it's production under a subsidiary name.

The Amptron board I have been using as reference is featured here - http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/amptron/PM-7900A.htm

I forget where I read that the two companies were somehow related, and unfortunately, the Amptron jumpers and settings are clearly organized differently from my board, so I can't use an Amptron manual for a 1 to 1 comparison.

As for the processor multiplier, I have changed the jumpers to the 3x multiplier and the BIOS does list the CPU at 200 Mhz on Post, so it seems as if my processor is not locked. I was thinking of placing two SPST toggle switches on the front of the machine and wiring them to the jumper posts, so I can adjust the multiplier before boots without having to open the case- I've been watching videos on Youtube which imply that, with a clever adjustment of multipliers, and toggling internal and external cache on/off, one can really throttle the performance across a broad range of game requirements and speeds.