VOGONS

First post, by kennyog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently picked up a 386 motherboard to rebuild a machine like my first computer.
I plug in the Tseng Labs ET4000AX video card i bought off ebay and no video. 🙁

I go to plug in a PC speaker for POST codes, but the jumpers on the board are not listed!

Hopefully finding out the maker tells me where I can plug things in.

I believe the video card may be DOA, as I saw the keyboard lights flash on start, and case fans start, but with no second video card to swap out, I'm trying to figure out what steps I can take to diagnose.
Maybe I need to add a CMOS battery pack or something as I dont see a battery on this board?
Also it's been a long time since looking at an AT motherboard, as far as I recall, I just need to plug in black-to-black, and keyboard/video and I should be able to POST. If I'm missing anything dumb, please feel free to share as I'm all ears at this point!

Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
327.77 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
s-l16002.jpg
Filename
s-l16002.jpg
File size
162.7 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1 of 10, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice board... it's quite an early 386 board going by the number of discrete components / lack of cache, and with an intel chipset too!

On first glance it looks like there are quite a few simm banks, how are they grouped? Are they displaced or are they together?

I'm drawn to the fact that there are only two simms then some space with a couple of empty slots.... than another two simms! Is this how the RAM should be configured? It may be you need 4 of the simms all in the right simm bank before the board posts.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 10, by kennyog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!

To be honest, when I got it off ebay it came with memory and it said tested so I just left it, but it had that weird placement. I know there are some numbers near the slots, so I'll try moving it around and giving it a go and take a picture.

I picked up this one because my first board had 16 simm slots, which was seemingly rare at the time and even rarer now from what I can tell.

Will report back shortly and thanks again!

Reply 3 of 10, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kennyog wrote:

it said tested so I just left it, but it had that weird placement.

That could be right... I have one or two boards where the first four (Bank 0) slots are not grouped together, though if it's not... then this could be a reason for not posting.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 10, by kennyog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It looks like it might be the RAM, thanks for the suggestion.

I was able to guess on the right speaker pins, and the POST beep was 3 beeps. Checking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-t … BIOS_beep_codes it looks like 3 means "Base memory read/write test error"

I took out 2 of the SIMMs, and have tried putting different combinations of two in different slots to no avail yet though.

Not sure which bank is which, but here is a picture of the numbering on the side of the slots. I assume U3 is the start of bank 0? but I'm not quite sure. Unforunately I only have the 4 SIMMs that came with the auction.

20170422_155340.jpg
Filename
20170422_155340.jpg
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 5 of 10, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It appears to be a DX chip (can't really see, but 90% sure) so you will need to fill a full bank, in this case (32 bit) will be four SIMMS. If it was an SX and your RAM was good, it would start like this.

Great board, loving the number of RAM slots, full size, and non-VLSI layout!

Last edited by Jed118 on 2017-04-23, 13:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 6 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think the board is too old. I think I can make out a sticker at the back of the board that reads 8/31/90. Early boards usually had a 287 math coprocessor socket, and no cache RAM. Strangely, the cache on this board appears to be soldered in place...which is odd. Why waste money making a full size board, and then cheap out on cache sockets?

This board also isn't really non-VLSI. It has those two Intel chips and an Austek cache controller. You would think between those three chips that all those other LS logic chips wouldn't be needed. I've seen fully discrete logic 386 motherboards roughly the same size.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2017-04-27, 03:38. Edited 1 time in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 10, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there any drawbacks to having discrete ICs all over the place, or does the distance the information has to travel not matter on such primitive boards?

Also a question I've been meaning to ask since lately I've been re-exposed to a bunch of Socket 7 projects - Did a 386 ever come with integrated I/O? I mean, I know my Deskpro 20/e had it integrated, but when did clone AT boards jump onto it? I seem to remember having a 486 PCI mainboard in the mid-late 90s that had it, but some of the earlier 486 boards didn't.

Reply 8 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes. I've seen several 386 boards with integrated I/O. The AMI Mark V "Baby Screamer" is one of them. It's far more common on OEM systems though.

There can actually be advantages to having discrete ICs. Especially in the early 386 days, you could overclock the discrete IC boards, while the VLSI boards would usually end up dying (it was important not to exceed the speed stamped into the chipset). It's also easy to repair discrete IC boards, where the VLSI board normally goes in the trash.

Reply 9 of 10, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could you tell me how/why it was easier to overclock? For example, if a 74LS04 blew, you'd just replace that small DIP rather than an entire (perhaps proprietary) VLSI chip?

I assume this also applies to 286 boards, because I have a nice 16 MHz Pony board that I want to turn up to 20 MHz 😁

Reply 10 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it also applies to 286 boards.

I would guess your 16MHz Pony board was made in or after 1990, which means it should be okay.

I can't really explain why discrete logic overclocked better. It's more of a case of VLSI technology being new and unrefined.